There are a huge number of different types of nuts in the world. One of the most unusual and rare representatives is the black walnut., which gets its name from the rich color of the root system. Such kernels have a rich chemical composition and, accordingly, many useful properties. Let's find out more about the benefits of this plant and its uses.
Description and history of origin
The homeland of the black walnut is North America, where it grows from Massachusetts to Texas, for this reason the second name of the black walnut is American. It was introduced to Russia and Europe only in the 18th century and grows only in warm countries.... In Russia, black walnut can be found in the Krasnodar and Stavropol Territories.
The natural habitat of the black walnut begins and ends in North America, in other countries this plant was introduced and planted artificially.
In appearance and taste, black walnuts are very similar to walnuts., but in the American representative the concentration of active substances is much higher, which makes it much more useful.
In appearance, American walnut also strongly resembles a walnut, but knowing several features, they can be easily distinguished.:
- The tree can grow up to 40-50 meters;
- The barrel is dark brown with deep furrows;
- The wood is very durable and strong, has an excellent appearance and that is why black walnut is very often used in the manufacture of furniture;
- The crown is very large and powerful, usually, its diameter is not less than the height of the tree trunk, and sometimes even more. The branches are tilted downward;
- The roots are very powerful and sprout deep down. The main feature is the deep black color.
The leaves are arranged alternately and reach a length of 25 centimeters. They consist of several small oval, oblong leaves up to 10 centimeters long with jagged edges and 3 centimeters wide. Leaves bloom in late April and early May.
The first flowering occurs in April or May at the 7-10th year of the tree's life... Stamen flowers are earrings up to 15 centimeters long, but pistillate flowers are collected in small inflorescences of 3-5 pieces.
Fruit diameter is 3-5 centimeters, the shape can be round, ovoid or obovate. The shell of such nuts is covered with small grooves and is particularly durable.
Black walnut has a very high nutritional value, so it is not recommended for people who want to lose weight. 100 grams of the product contains 618 kilocalories, and the table of the percentage of the constituents is as follows:
The product contains a large number of useful substances, the use of which has a beneficial effect on the state of the body.:
- alkaloid yugladine;
- vitamins C, B1, B6, P, E, B, PP, A, F;
- a huge amount of trace elements (magnesium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, cobalt, manganese, selenium, silicon);
- essential oils;
- various acids;
- useful enzymes;
The concentration of all nutrients is at the highest level, the American nut is considered one of the most common components of traditional medicine.
Black walnut has many health benefits:
- capable resist gut bacteria, improves the condition of microflora;
- has antibacterial propertiesalso helps to get rid of germs;
- slows down the natural aging skin and promotes the regeneration of skin cells;
- boosts immunity and the general resistance of the body;
- there is a good anti-inflammatory effect, edema is significantly reduced;
- there is also a light analgesic effect;
- black walnut has long been used in the fight against viral diseasessuch as herpes;
- helps to cope with various fungal diseases;
- black walnut able to fight cancerous tumors and prevent their occurrence;
- helps to cleanse the body from toxic substances and parasite larvae;
- effectively fights wormsby promoting their excretion from the intestines;
- possesses antispasmodic property;
- relieves nausea, prevents vomiting;
- helps with injuries, stops bleeding and forms a film that becomes a barrier to various infections;
- calms the nervous system, helps with stress, nervousness, insomnia;
- increases the amount of vitamins, thereby improving the general condition of the body.
But in addition to a large number of useful properties in some cases American walnut can harm human health:
- eat no more than a handful of peeled nuts per day, otherwise it can cause inflammation of the tonsils and vasospasm on the head;
- black walnut belongs to the list allergenic products, therefore, you need to use it with extreme caution;
- in no case spoiled nuts should not be eaten, they can cause severe poisoning;
- moldformed on nuts, provokes the formation of cancer cells;
- also worth noting that during heat treatment some amount of nutrients is lost, and heavily transferred nuts can adversely affect liver health;
- black walnut is contraindicated with dietary nutrition.
Also, in addition to the harm that black walnut can bring, experts identify specific contraindications, in the presence of which the use of such a product is prohibited:
- Individual intolerance to American walnut;
- A stomach or intestinal ulcer;
- Cirrhosis of the liver;
- Pregnancy and lactation.
All the harm from nuts for the most part is the consequences of improper use, therefore, the beneficial properties are much superior in their number to contraindications.
The use of Black walnut in medicine, instructions for its use
Due to the huge amount of useful trace elements, the American nut can often be found in traditional medicine recipes or as part of various medicines.
The oil extracted from the kernels of such a nut is used to achieve the following effect:
- prevention colds;
- restoration of work immune system;
- assistance in treatment skin diseasessuch as dermatitis or warts;
- also such a remedy helps well in case of malfunctions of the thyroid gland;
- contributes to the filling of the body with vitamins, and therefore used for vitamin deficiency;
- used in various inflammation of the female genital organs;
- helps with problems with bladder and kidneys;
- also used with hemorrhoids;
- used by for solving various skin problems, for example, for psoriasis, lichen, burns, abscesses and boils, rubbing with oil 2-3 times a day helps;
- oil is used mouthwash for preventive purposes;
- you can also do steam inhalation for the treatment of colds.
The course of treatment with walnut oil lasts no more than 1 month, while adults are allowed to take half a teaspoon, and children from 3 years old - 1/4 3 times a day 30 minutes before eating.
The extract is made both from the skin and from the kernels of the black walnut themselves. Such a remedy is great for:
- The appearance of worms and other parasites in the human body;
- Various wounds and violations of the integrity of the skin;
- Fungal or bacterial lesions;
- An integrated cleansing the body.
Most often, the extract is used to remove worms from the body, for this, according to the instructions, Take 80 drops of the product once a day together with 2 tablespoons of water, after which it is necessary to take medications with the same effect. The duration of such therapy is 2-3 weeks.
American Walnut Extract should only be consumed by adults.
Also, black walnut can be found in the following forms:
- The juice - helps to stop the blood, and contribute to the early restoration of the skin;
- Pills - in their manufacture, black walnut leaves are used. The remedy is good for colds.
- Dietary supplements help to strengthen the body;
- Ointments - used for various skin diseases;
- Candles - used in gynecology to restore microflora, are also effective for hemorrhoids and anal fissures.
- Decoction prepared from 5 grams of finely chopped dried leaf, which is poured with 200 milliliters of water until the liquid darkens. Such a remedy can be used as a compress for diathesis, gargle with it for infectious diseases and rinse the hair to strengthen them.
Black walnut kernels can be eaten raw, or as an ingredient in various desserts. The American walnut can be added to baked goods, salads, and ice cream. Black walnut kernel oil is also particularly popular.
Many people love jam made from black walnut kernels, the preparation process of which consists of the following steps:
- 100 pieces of more green nuts are peeled and soaked for a month, while the water must be changed daily;
- Then each nut is pierced, covered with 500 grams of slaked lime and filled with water for 2 days;
- After this time, the nuts are thoroughly washed and poured with clean water for 4 days, while the liquid is replaced 2-3 times a day;
- As soon as the nuts are fully cooked, they are poured with hot water, a tablespoon of alum is added and simmer for 20-30 minutes;
- Then you need to change the water and cook for another 5-10 minutes;
- Then the nuts are transferred to a colander and the syrup is prepared;
- 2 kilograms of sugar are mixed with water and brought to a boil;
- Add nuts to the resulting mass and continue to keep on fire until they turn black.
You can add cardamom, cloves or cinnamon to the finished jam.
Black walnut kernels are rich in nutrients. They are often used in cooking to create desserts., and the beneficial effect on the body is recognized by traditional medicine. The main rule is moderate consumption of black walnuts.
Black walnut useful properties and contraindications
The black walnut tree is a relative of the common walnut variety. The advantage of this type is the higher content of medicinal substances. Therefore, many make tinctures with black walnut for treatment. Since ancient times, the Indians have used the beneficial properties of this plant in its historical homeland - in North America.
At the end of the twentieth century, the immunocorrective and antioxidant characteristics of the healing tincture were investigated. The environmental situation was rapidly deteriorating, so the amazing properties of black walnut became more relevant than ever. In the State Pharmaceutical Academy, studies were carried out, where experts found that the healing properties of this plant have no analogues. Unlike other related trees, only black walnut can provide such a versatile healing effect.
Also, studies were carried out among American specialists who drew attention to the concentration of juglones and polyphenols in the fruits of the tree. This content made it possible to obtain a drug that increases the body's resistance to the development of unwanted neoplasms. The tincture has gained popularity in the treatment of cancer.
Black walnut: composition
Many scientists have come to the conclusion that in terms of the complexity and integrity of the healing effect on the body, this nut has no analogue in nature. The composition amazes and impresses with its components, which positively affect the state of human health. This unique plant contains a huge range of nutrients.
The nut contains substances such as:
- alkaloids yugladine
- polyphenolic substance
- phytocide and glycoside
- organic iodine
- vitamins (C, B1, B6, P, E, B, PP, provitamin A and vitamin F)
- trace elements (magnesium, potassium, iron, phosphorus, cobalt, selenium, manganese, silicon)
- essential oils
- oleic acid, as well as palmentic, linoleic, lauric, myristic, arachidic and stearic
- enzymes and sugar
- tanning and many other substances.
The peel of an unripe nut contains 50 times more vitamin C than one of the leaders in the content of this vitamin - orange. Not only fruits are useful in consumption, but also the green mass of the plant, which contains calcium phosphate, cellulose, vegetable oil, arabic gum, magnesium stearate and zein.
In the course of numerous studies, the following properties of black walnut have been found:
- wound healing
- pain relievers
As practice shows, scientists have made the right conclusions. Due to its rich composition, black walnut really has a versatile effect on the body. This plant brings a lot of benefits to a person, namely:
- has a rejuvenating effect
- relieves worms
- cleans from toxins
- heals the skin
- prevents inflammation
- contributes to the cessation of inflammatory processes
- heals wounds and other injuries
- fights fungus
- has a deadly effect on viruses
- prevents the growth of bacteria
- protects the body from the invasion of pathogens
- stimulates immune function
- reduces the risk of developing cancer
- normalizes the stomach.
In addition, a drink made from black walnut leaves lowers blood pressure, normalizes the microflora of the stomach, and replenishes the reserves of vitamins and other substances necessary for the body.
First of all, black walnut has its properties due to the juglone, which belongs to the naphthoquinone group. This element in the composition is most appreciated. In fact, it is a natural antibiotic that inhibits the growth of bacterial flora. Juglone also kills parasites in the body. He also actively fights against fungi.
There are many other useful substances in dark walnut. These are tannins, flavonoids, quinones, various acids, and essential oils. In addition, it contains the following vitamins: C, A, group B.
Even the most skeptical specialists cannot deny such a combination of the components of the healing effect of the fruits and leaves of this tree on a person.
Nature's Way, Black Walnut Bran, 500 mg, 100 Capsules
A review of the medical literature shows that the components of black walnut have a number of beneficial properties:
- Antibacterial and antifungal action. Black walnut contains juglone, which is a natural antibiotic and also works against fungal infections . It is effective against Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli strains. This information is confirmed by the results of laboratory studies and corresponds to the data of international literature . At the same time, juglone does not have an irritating and allergenic effect and can act as a universal agent with a wide spectrum of action .
- Antiparasitic action. This effect is mainly due to the action of naphthoquinones in the composition of the pericarp and leaves of the plant. Black walnut tincture is useful for helminthiasis .
- Antineoplastic action. Black walnut contains naphthoquinones: they inhibit the activity of the enzyme phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase and inhibit the development of the tumor process. In the studies carried out, it was shown that naphthoquinones do not possess the high toxicity characteristic of other cytostatics .
- Anti-inflammatory action. Comparative studies have shown that polyphenolic complexes from black walnut leaves reduce exudation by 29%, and proliferation by 13%. These processes support the inflammatory response in the body. By suppressing them with the help of nut components, you can speed up recovery .
- Hypoglycemic action. In experiments on animals, it was possible to find out that juglone lowers the level of glucose (sugar) in the blood . Clinical studies involving patients with type II diabetes mellitus have shown that alcoholic extract of black walnut leaves improves the lipid glycemic profile without negative consequences for the body .
- Hypotensive action. It has been experimentally proven that the flavonoids in the nut reduce blood pressure by 53%, and this effect lasts for two hours. They act through the vessels: relieve spasm, relax and improve blood flow .
- Wound healing and anti-burn action. Experimental studies have shown that black walnut oil accelerates the healing of burns and other wounds, enhances tissue regeneration, and reduces the risk of complications .
- Antioxidant action... Juglone increases the antioxidant activity of the liver by acting on superoxide dismutase and slows down the development of fibrosis .
- Fortifying action. A rich polyphenolic complex, vitamins and minerals, essential oils - all these substances have a beneficial effect on the functioning of organs and systems, help to mobilize internal resources and strengthen immunity .
The effectiveness of black walnut is determined not only by its individual components, but precisely by the combination of several active compounds at once, which enhance the action of each other.
Due to this, black walnut has a wide range of therapeutic effects and is used for various pathological processes .
Useful properties of black walnut extract
Black walnut is a valuable medicinal plant. Its homeland is considered to be North America - the USA and Canada. On the territory of these countries, the leaves, fruits and bark of black walnut were used as an immunostimulating, anti-inflammatory and antiparasitic agent. Nowadays, interest in the plant arose after the publication of the work of Dr. Clark. In his monograph, the scientist described the antiparasitic activity of the pericarp of black walnut and outlined the prospects for its use in medicine. Today, the study of plant properties continues, primarily in pharmacology and toxicology .
The use of black walnut extract is due to the properties of the components that make up it. Laboratory studies have shown that the plant is rich in naphthoquinones (including juglone), flavonoids, essential oils, organic acids and other components. The composition of black walnut contains vitamins (C, E, PP and B group) and mineral elements (including phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, iron, iodine, zinc and others) .
In its composition, black walnut is similar to its related plant - walnut, but the content of biologically active substances in it is 4-5 times higher .
Here are the main beneficial properties of black walnut extract [1-6]:
- Antiparasitic action. In experiments, it was shown that black walnut effectively copes with helminthiases. The naphthoquinones, essential oils and glycosides included in its composition have a detrimental effect on both sexually mature and intermediate stages of helminths, as well as on the simplest microorganisms. Black walnut helps to cope with roundworms, pinworms, lamblia, etc.
- Antibacterial action. The juglone in the nut is a powerful natural antibiotic. Clinical trials have shown that naphthoquinones are effective against Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli.
- Antifungal action. Preparations based on black walnut are used in the treatment of various mycoses. It has been proven that juglone in the plant produces oxygen-containing free radicals and acts against a wide range of pathogens of fungal infection.
- Antiviral action. Experiments in a laboratory have shown that juglone can be effective against human immunodeficiency virus type 1 and vesicular stomatitis virus.
- Antineoplastic action. Studies have shown that black walnut contains naphthoquinones, which inhibit the activity of the enzyme phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase. They interfere with the development of tumor cells and interfere with the progression of the disease.
- Anti-inflammatory action. The components of black walnut act on various links of the inflammatory process - proliferation and exudation. It inhibits the production of prostaglandins and other inflammatory mediators and inhibits the progression of the disease.
- Metabolic action. Walnut extract is not accidentally used in the treatment of endocrine diseases and diabetes mellitus, in particular. Experimental studies have shown that juglone reduces blood glucose levels, normalizes carbohydrate and fat metabolism.
- Antihypertensive action. Flavonoids in black walnut relax blood vessels, reduce total peripheral vascular resistance, improve blood flow and lower blood pressure. In studies, it was noted that flavonoids reduce blood pressure by 53%, the effect lasts up to two hours.
- Reparative action. Components of black walnut accelerate tissue regeneration - in particular, their effectiveness exceeds that of viburnum oil by 30-35%.
- Antispasmodic action. Highlighted compounds of black walnut relieve muscle spasm, relax blood vessels and improve blood flow.
- Immunostimulating action. The components of the nut activate the body's defenses and help fight various diseases.
It is important to know: the high efficiency of black walnut extraction is explained not so much by its individual components as by their combination. That is why the plant has a wide spectrum of therapeutic activity and can be used in various fields of medicine.
Application in medicine
The raw material for the manufacture of medicinal products can be black walnut leaves, unripe fruits, pericarp and even young shoots. The most popular forms of medicines:
- Nut peel extract is a natural effective complex for the treatment of the stomach and intestines. They start taking with small doses, gradually increasing them over the course of 2 weeks.
- Leaf capsules, calcium carbonate, stearic acid, cellulose. They are used to treat colds, diseases of the bronchi and skin. The therapeutic course takes 3-4 weeks.
- The oil is used for dysbiosis, gastric ulcer, diabetes mellitus, hemorrhoids, thyroid diseases, in gynecology.
- Dietary supplements (dietary supplements) are used for general strengthening and improvement of well-being. The course of therapy is carried out no longer than a month.
- Balms and ointments are used for skin diseases, wounds, burns, bites.
- The syrup is obtained by boiling the leaves and pericarp in sugar.
- Tinctures and balms are made on an alcohol basis. It is possible to add other herbs.
- Suppositories are hypoallergenic, non-toxic, do not cause side effects. Well absorbed by the body. Used in gynecology and proctology.
- The broth is prepared from crushed walnut leaves. They can rinse their mouth for dental problems, stomatitis, gingivitis, sore throat. Using it in the form of a hair rinse, you can strengthen the curls, making them silky and healthy looking. Compresses with such a decoction quickly relieve allergic irritations, rashes and redness on the skin.
To combat skin pathologies and diseases of the joints, tinctures are made on alcohol. They are easy to make at home. This will require:
The leaves are washed, dried, put in a dry glass jar and filled with 70% alcohol. He must cover them entirely. The jar is tightly closed and hidden away from light for 10 days. After straining, they drink 5 drops on the first day, increasing the dose to 30 drops (5 drops more every day). Then they take a break for a month and repeat the course.
Due to the alcohol content, the tincture should not be taken by pregnant women, mothers during lactation, young children, people with cirrhosis of the liver and ulcers.
Decoction for diabetes
With diabetes, they drink a decoction of the leaves. It improves the condition of the body, lowers the amount of sugar in the blood. Cooking requires:
- a glass of boiling water
- table l. nut leaves (dry or fresh).
The leaves are poured with boiling water and allowed to stand until completely cooled. Adults drink the broth in half a glass in 2 doses, children are recommended to drink 7 teaspoons. l. in a day.
Collection for the treatment of gynecological diseases
With mastopathy, fibroma, ovarian cyst, the black walnut leaf will become more effective with the collection of herbs. 4 parts of the leaves are mixed with 4 parts of licorice root and string, 2 parts of verbena, 1 part of black elderberry, 6 parts of goldenrod flowers and peach leaves. Table. l. ingredients are poured with boiling water (1 glass). After an hour, filter and drink before meals, 80 ml three times a day. The treatment course is 10 days. Then they take a five-day break, and repeat if necessary.
If the menstrual cycle fails, 1.5 table. l. leaves are poured with boiling water (2 cups). Leave for 2 hours. After straining, they drink 30 ml three times a day before meals. This infusion is considered an excellent diuretic and is taken to cleanse the kidneys.
Leaves with honey are drunk for problems with the mammary glands. 4 parts dry leaves are mixed with 1 part nettle. Pour the 4th table. l. mixture of 0.5 liters of slightly warmed liquid honey. Stir and take 4 times on the table before meals. l.
Tincture against worms
1 table l. dry leaves are poured with boiling water (1 cup). Leave to cool completely and filter. On the first day, they drink one drop of the infusion added to half a glass of water. Take on an empty stomach for 5 days, adding another drop to the glass every day until the dose rises to 5. On day 6, you can add 2 teaspoons to a glass of water. l. medicines. They drink it slowly, in small sips. If the body weight is more than 68 kg, add 2.5 teaspoons to the glass. l, if more than 90 kg, 3 teaspoons are allowed. l. You can improve the taste and smell with cinnamon and honey.
Green Fruit Tincture
Nuts need to be picked in the last days of August or early September, so that they do not have time to finally ripen. The green fruits are plucked from the branches and placed whole tightly in a container with a screw cap. Pour vodka to the brim and cover. Insist 2 weeks in a place where sunlight does not get.
After straining, the tincture is drunk to strengthen the immune system, treat the thyroid gland and chronic diseases. The recommended dose is 5 drops three times a day. A one-time dose, as with taking a tincture from the leaves, is increased daily by 5 drops until the dosage rises to 30 drops. The course lasts 6-12 months, with a weekly break every month.