Great Lent is an important period of spiritual growth for any Christian. This is the time for thinking about God, about the soul, a wonderful occasion for realizing spirituality. However, even during fasting, one cannot hide from ordinary everyday worries, so for many the question arises whether it is possible to deal with them.
For gardeners and gardeners, spring is a period of active work in preparing for future plantings, and there is no way to postpone business, because this can nullify all the work. Therefore, many are interested in whether it is possible to grow a garden during Great Lent and how to do it for the benefit of the soul. The priests answer: labor is by no means a sin. It is possible and necessary to engage in gardening activities, however, some nuances must be taken into account. First of all, we must not forget about the spiritual meaning of abstinence. Everyday affairs should not crowd out thinking about God, because of them, in no case should you postpone confession and attendance at church services. The period when it is better not to devote a significant amount of time to the garden is Holy Week. At this time, Christians abstain most strictly and remember the sufferings of Christ. In churches, special services are held, which must be attended in order to understand the meaning of the suffering of the Savior on the cross. Such services are held only at this time and provide an opportunity to remember the events of the Gospel associated with the crucifixion of Jesus. Services will be required on Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday. After visiting the temple and performing home prayer, you can devote the remaining time to gardening chores.
The second mandatory point to consider when planning work during fasting is the state of health. Diet restrictions can weaken the body, so any exercise needs to be planned with your well-being in mind. If the weakness becomes too strong, it is better to give up hard work. According to Orthodox priests, fasting should not be a period of painful self-torture, but a time of spiritual joy. If there is no strength left for work, it is better to devote yourself to activities that do not require physical activity. For example, you can prepare seeds for planting, read helpful materials and tips to apply to work after Lent. On days that do not fall on major church holidays and services, gardening is much more preferable than idle. rest and visiting entertainment establishments. There is an ancient monastic wisdom: "Dirty work leads to pure thoughts." Calm physical labor frees the mind from unnecessary thoughts and allows you to focus on your sins, repentance and meditation on the gospel truths.
Rolled into the garden "Kolobok"
Cabbage variety "Kolobok" has long been deservedly popular not only among gardeners, but also among farmers. The popularity of this variety has not only not fallen over the years, but is constantly growing.
The Kolobok cabbage variety is grown in all Russian regions, but sowing seeds into the ground is possible only in the southern regions of the country.
Cabbage variety Kolobok is a hybrid of the first generation, it is impossible to get seeds from it, since varietal qualities will not be preserved. Cabbage is one of the few crops grown in a cool way.
Cabbage Gingerbread man of medium late ripening. Technical ripeness occurs 115-120 days after planting seedlings in the ground. Heads of cabbage are dense, round, weighing up to 4.3 kg.
- the yield of the variety is stable, with proper agricultural technology, up to 15 kg can be obtained from one square meter
- long shelf life within 7-8 months, while the beneficial properties are not lost
- Swings of approximately equal size
- do not crack before ripening. But if during the development of the head the humidity is increased, the pump may crack - not a single variety or hybrid of cabbage is insured from this!
- good resistance to cabbage diseases: fusarium, alternaria, gray and white rot, bacteriosis.
Of the shortcomings it is possible to note only the high exactingness of cabbage for irrigation (it reacts poorly to prolonged drought) and soil fertility.
Cabbage is a storehouse of vitamins and minerals, for which it is valued in cooking. Since "Kolobok" is a hybrid of universal purpose, its application is varied. Cabbage of this variety is not only salted, fermented, pickled, but also used for salads, stewing, making soups and borscht.
At one time in the USSR, a drink with an unusual name was very popular - sour cabbage soup, and he had nothing to do with sour cabbage soup in the modern sense. This spicy and at the same time carbonated drink was made from cabbage, poured into champagne bottles and letting it brew a little.
Recipes for cooking sour cabbage soup a great many. Here is one of them:
- raisins - 10 pieces
- rye crackers - 500 grams
- yeast - 40 grams
- granulated sugar - 200 grams
- fresh mint - 10 stems
- black currant leaves - 4 pieces.
Pour crackers with boiling water and let it brew for 4 hours. Strain through a cloth, add sugar, diluted yeast, mint, currant leaves and keep at room temperature for 12 hours. Strain again and pour into bottles, in each of which put a few raisins.
Close the bottles tightly and refrigerate. After 3 days, the sour cabbage soup is ready.
This and other varieties of seeds of vegetables, herbs and flowers from the company "6 Sotok-Urozhay" can be purchased at the Russian Post offices of the Republics of Adygea, Bashkortostan, Tatarstan, Krasnodar and Perm Territories, Belgorod, Volgograd, Voronezh, Kursk Lipetsk, Nizhny Novgorod, Orenburg, Penza , Rostov, Samara, Saratov, Tambov and Ulyanovsk regions.
Gardening in June: Things to Not Forget
- In June, you should treat the apple tree for scab, and the gooseberry for powdery mildew. If you did this already in advance, then repeat spraying on young ovaries.
- Young weeds can be destroyed with Roundup, and perennial weeds can be cut at a depth of 2 cm with a Fokin flat cutter. They will become a kind of mulch that will protect the soil from drying out.
- If small orange spots suddenly appeared on the black currant bushes, then most likely they were struck by goblet rust. Treat plants with honey-containing or biological products, for example, "Hom", "Fitosporin" or "Zircon". The same means can be used to spray the leaves of cherries and gooseberries (if they turned yellow early that year).
- To prevent aphids from settling on your bushes and trees, systematically spray the plantings with infusion of pine needles, citrus peels or onion peels. You can also use the biopreparations Fitoverm, Zdorovy Sad, Perimor. It is interesting that the most reliable and natural helpers in the fight against aphids are ladybugs and their large black larvae. The predatory gall midge also helps to get rid of aphids. It lives on legumes and spice-flavored crops, so we do not recommend spraying these plants with pesticides. For more details on how to destroy aphids, read our previous material.
- Raspberries should be treated with Fitoverm from the weevil. If there are no raspberries on the site, it can do with weeds, so they need to be constantly mowed in early summer at an early age.
- To prevent the grass from getting clumped, be sure to mow it. You can start mowing lawns and removing weeds.
- In June, honeysuckle ripens, which birds willingly feast on. In order not to be left without a crop, throw nets on the berry fields; coarse-mesh from fishing line will do.
- In dry windy weather, you need to water strawberries, black currants, sea buckthorn, raspberries, planting root crops and cabbage. As soon as the raspberries reach a meter in height, cut the ends of the branches - this will allow the shrub to bear fruit throughout August.
- All plantings can be fed with infusion of weeds or any nitrogen fertilizer.
- In early June, late carrots, black radish are sown, seedlings of cucumbers, early ripening varieties of tomatoes, zucchini, pumpkins, beets, annual flowers, dahlias and gladioli are planted in open ground. In addition, peonies, phlox, irises and asters are fed with ash, which is sprinkled on the moist soil around the plant and slightly covered with soil.
- To prevent gray rot on raspberries and strawberries (especially in wet weather), spray the bushes with the biological products Fitosporin or Zircon.
- Roses, raspberries, zucchini, pumpkins, cucumbers are fed with an infusion of fresh manure (1:10), and cabbage plantings are watered with milk of lime (1 glass per 10 liters of water) or a solution of calcium nitrate (3 tablespoons per 10 liters of water) against keels. Annual asters are watered with Fitosporin solution or sprayed with Zircon against the black leg.
- To prevent black currants and gooseberries from infecting the sawfly larvae, at the end of the month, remove the ripening berries ahead of schedule and burn them.
- Be sure to cut off the fading brushes of lilacs, tulips, daffodils, lupines and delphinium (we cut the last two at the root, without leaving even a hemp).
- If the plants in greenhouses are slowly setting fruit, then once every 10 days in the morning spray them with the preparations "Ovary" or "Bud".
- Strawberry bushes can be attacked by a penny slobber (or spit). In this case, pour over the strawberries with very hot water with the addition of potassium permanganate.
- In June, potatoes are huddled for the last time. If you suddenly notice pests (Colorado beetles or different larvae), spray the plantings with the Sonnet preparation. Do this procedure once a season before flowering. By the way, you can also spray lilies with Sonnet.
- At the end of June, do not forget to spray tomatoes against late blight and cucumbers against bacteriosis with Fitosporin.
What to do in the garden
- I don't plant potatoes. They say that in the presence of a vegetable garden, God himself ordered to grow potatoes, but, in my opinion, in terms of labor costs from ordinary garden crops, he simply has no equal.
Everyone knows that potatoes require regular watering in a drought and at least two hilling, plus weeding. And to plant and collect? And with the Colorado potato beetle, if you do not fight, it will completely eat up all the foliage ...
If you count all the costs, then your potatoes are not particularly cheaper than those bought on the market. A ripped back and wasted time? Everyone, of course, draws conclusions and decides for himself, but I have not planted potatoes for a couple of years. I'm not trying to radically change the soil in my garden. For example, this soil is not suitable for beets, no matter how much you plant - it does not grow larger than a tennis ball.
Previously, in order to change the acidity of the soil and neutralize the pH, he sprinkled the garden with baking soda and starch. I'm tired, I say: “Goodbye beets! I will buy you in the fall at the fair without any problems". I'd rather make a high bed with the acidity of the soil I need and grow what I want. He stopped fighting for the cleanliness of the beds. Well, the path between the beds will overgrow with grass. So it's better than bare soil. And with the help of herbicides, no matter how much weeds are grass, they are replaced by others, even more tenacious.
Defeat the weeds once and for all you will not succeed by definition. Therefore, you should not be hunched over for hours with a hoe. The easiest and most effective way is to use mulching, which I do. I used to think that the more I water, the more harvest. Watering worked day and night, but as a result, weeds only grew more abundantly. This, in turn, deprived the growing vegetables of nutrition. The green mass grew, but the yield did not increase.
This article is just an excuse to think about what we really need on the site and what we don't. Perhaps someone has other examples of habitual summer cottage activities that require us to spend unreasonable efforts, time and money.
I have a garden of 15 acres at the house. I don't grow anything at all. The entire plot has a garden and a huge walnut tree. I used to grow everything, I got tired. For me, it's easier to buy and not to hammer your head with daily watering, weeding, etc. We have a heat in the shade under 40 in the summer, we had to water it almost every day.
Article by a lazy person. How much work is there? You just have to work and everything and fertilize the soil!
The author of this article is a great storyteller! He probably forgot what a farm vegetable from the market is! I have a neighbor in the country - a farmer! He constantly processes his vegetables with tons of chemicals! Tons! He has a white chemical slurry flowing from his garden in the rain ... So buy a chemical bulb from him at the market. And we will grow our own, like grandfathers and great-grandfathers - on manure and tincture of nettles and dandelions.
To each his own! I'm not a big fan of the garden either, but my own potato is a thing! There is a house outside the city by the lake, a good plot, my wife and I have a hundred for two, there is equipment and a neighbor has a horse. I’m not boasting, it’s just really, you can’t replace the taste of your vegetables with anything. Well, if you buy potatoes and something else, then it is better from people whom you know personally and for a long time. And then on the market they can sell such a halabuda with a blue eye, spit further than you see!
50/50 in the words of the author. A measure is needed in everything. Then both the dacha and the village will be in favor and in the mood. But to buy at retail outlets, thank you! Almost all products there are grown for income. I think you understand what I mean.
Hikers and fans of science fiction, by definition, love nature and therefore cannot seriously engage in the technology of growing all kinds of crops. Although something written is noteworthy. Probably, the author is a little tired of working in the garden, so he decided to rethink something, maybe because of his age. Somewhere I understand him, somewhere not quite, especially in those places where he gives up.
In Soviet times, there were enough gerontologists who carefully studied the experience of centenarians. According to the facts of numerous studies, a greater number of centenarians and people less susceptible to diseases turned out to be those people who work on the earth and not those who live in multi-storey chicken coops, regardless of their region of residence. Understandably, man is a child of nature, whatever one may say, and without it man is a helpless creature. No matter how difficult it is to cultivate the land, it's worth it.
Most of the article is outright nonsense. Especially with potatoes and top dressing ...
If the author is a big fan of science fiction, then write about it, a reprint of any dick is not ice. But what about potatoes, planted for themselves without fanatical volumes, something that could be tastier from a garden of young potatoes.
I love growing potatoes, though within reasonable limits 200 bushes are quite capable of me, a young pensioner! And the rest of the culture in moderation! then work is a thrill!
Mini-vegetable garden and mini-garden in a small summer cottage
An important step for lazy gardeners will be to study information on how to quickly and efficiently dig and water garden aisles in the country. A quality tool for giving will be a guarantee of convenient and easy care for any crops. It will help you weed weeds, loosen the ground and form beds without any problems. For example, a small walk-behind tractor can provide simple farming. With it, you can prepare a vegetable garden for use.Such modern products and devices will help to grow potatoes, cucumbers without any problems:
The sight of a summer resident constantly watering the beds discourages all the desire to take care of the garden. But if you put agrofibre on strawberry or cucumber "plots" before planting, then problems with care and constant removal of weeds simply will not arise. The coating prevents the active growth of grass, but does not affect the quality of growth of useful crops.
2. Drip irrigation system
Installing "droplets" will help you water a small cottage without hassle. The owners only need to lay the hoses and connect them to the general water supply system.
Ideal for the garden, avoiding the germination of grass under fruit trees. But before buying mulch, you need to know what it is and how to use it correctly. Mulch is a piece of pine bark that prevents the active growth of weeds. It is completely safe for soil, shrubs and trees.
The use of these products will help you easily equip your garden and vegetable garden. At the same time, everything will grow quickly in the country, there will be no need to remove weeds, and watering the crops will be a real gift for gardeners. Indeed, with a drip system, they only need to turn on and off water for irrigation on time.
How to care for a vegetable garden
In order for your crop to bear large fruits, constantly bloom and not sluggish, you need to know effective instructions that will allow you to enjoy your work even just by looking at it. There is no need to hang around hunched over your crops all day, you need to be able to use your labor effectively and apply it to your goal. The season itself lasts about 8 months, which can alert newcomers that they will have to hang around in the garden all day and work until they lose their pulse, but this is not the case.
I want to note right away that work should be started in the spring, and early. Start cultivating the land, clear bushes and trees from pests. The most important thing is to process the bushes as soon as possible in order to prevent pests from multiplying and destroying your labor. This whole procedure takes little time, you just need to spray the bushes with the substance and that's all. With watering, everything is also simple so that the work is effective - you need to water in warm weather so that the water does not freeze.
Already in April, you can start planting parsley, radishes, dill and carrots. This period is characterized by a lot of moisture, which fits your work - there is no point in watering yet. You need to pay attention to loosening. Do this once a week and process it around the crops. When it gets warm, you will need to water every morning.
If you have harvested tomato or cucumber seedlings, then it's time to release them in May. A great time of the year though. We dig holes and actually place the seedlings in them. For efficiency, I recommend pouring fertilizer or humus into the pits. Watering needs to be done every 5 days, if it's hot outside - more often, a series of a day or two.
For example, if you have planted peppers and tomatoes, you need to drive in stakes near them and tie up the harvest - this is extremely necessary! You can cultivate the land around with a hoe, only carefully, deepen by about 2 cm. Does not forget to process crops from pests. I recommend sprinkling them with the Zavyazki solution. To heighten the effect, you can add a glass of ash and a spoonful of mullein to the solution. In early August, it is necessary to spray the tomatoes with a solution of copper sulfate. Also remove the bottom petals. Cucumbers are not allowed to grow too much, we remove unnecessary sprouts. Do you have strawberries? Then somewhere in the middle of August you need to deal with them. Remove dry leaves.
At the end of September, you can harvest your own crops. To process the garden for the winter - to clear of dry plants and dig up so that large pieces remain. I recommend treating the garden with a special solution so that it does not overgrow with harmful grass.
That's all! If you follow all the instructions and apply them in practice - expect good-quality fruits!