Planting black currants in autumn significantly accelerates the natural processes of rooting and adaptation of berry crops, and also allows you to get a large harvest as soon as possible.
Pros of planting in the fall
Planting healthy seedlings in the fall has undeniable advantages, which include:
- convenience of performing the event during the growing season;
- rich selection of planting material;
- almost one hundred percent survival rate;
- no need to make additional fertilizing with proper soil treatment;
- the possibility of preserving an already beloved variety;
- no need for additional watering under favorable weather conditions.
Temperature conditions below + 10–12 ° C contribute to a completely natural deepening of the root system. This allows you to increase the immunity of the plant and make it more resistant to adverse external influences. It is also important to take into account the high risk of freezing of seedlings in the snowless winter and severe damage to the root system by rodents. In that case, spring is a more productive time.
There are no tangible disadvantages in the autumn breeding of berry bushes, but only with strict adherence to all agrotechnical techniques and the timing of such planting, depending on the region of cultivation.
Preference should be given to zoned and frost-resistant varieties.
Terms for different regions: table
Step by step instructions and nuances
In order to properly plant black currants in the fall, a sunny area should be allocated for it, represented by moist and fairly loose, fertile soil. Preference is given to sod-podzolic soils with the presence of humus and acidity indicators in the range of 6.0–6.5 pH. The landing site should not be negatively affected by wind gusts and stagnant melt water. Excess moisture in the soil can cause root rot and plant death.
Sequence of placement:
- Place places for several seedlings in one row, keeping a distance of 120–140 cm from each other.
- Dig small holes 40 x 40 cm in size and 25 cm deep. It is allowed to prepare a trench with backfilling a small amount of a mixture based on humus, sand and ash.
- If necessary, on too depleted soils, apply organic matter for digging, as well as complex fertilizers without chlorine.
- Slightly deepen the currant seedling into the ground, placing the root collar of the plant about 30–40 mm below ground level. You need to place the planting material at an angle of 45about, thanks to this, the yield of the crop will significantly increase and powerful basal shoots will form.
- Sprinkle the base of the seedling with earth and pour it with settled and heated in the sun water.
Black currant care
The use of additional protection measures, represented by soil mulching, as well as the organization of shelters and the installation of special deterrent devices, allows to neutralize the risk of root damage by rodents and freezing of seedlings. When planting too late, the plant needs to be dug in before the spring heat.
It is very important to prevent the soil from drying out if the autumn is dry. Young currant seedlings need to be watered regularly, and, if necessary, shade the aboveground parts. This will provide the fastest and easiest survival in a new place.
Despite the relative resistance to cold weather, determined by the specific climatic and soil conditions of cultivation, it is advisable to competently prepare recently planted currant bushes for winter. It is recommended to carry out preventive spraying of branches against damage by diseases and pests, then bend the shoots to the ground and cover with mulch.
Competent autumn planting of black currants allows not only to multiply your favorite variety and renew berry plantings, but also guarantees early and high productivity of a very useful culture, popular with summer residents.
Rate the article:
(2 votes, average: 3 out of 5)
Share with your friends!
Planting currants in the fall with seedlings and cuttings - when and how correctly
The currant bush lives on average 15 years and bears fruit most of its life. Over time, old plants need to be replaced with new bushes and then there is a need to multiply the culture. Cuttings and seedlings are planted in the spring, but it is better to plant currants in the fall with seedlings and cuttings, when ideal conditions for survival are created.
Lunar calendar for planting black, white and red currants in October 2020, when to plant cuttings and seedlings, auspicious days to plant
Once upon a time, back in the days of the former union, the former government of the former country taught our people to the land, to work on it, handing out the notorious six hundred square meters to the right and left, in order to somehow distract people from reality, occupy their thoughts with something and direct energy in the right direction. Since then, many of us cannot imagine ourselves in the period of spring and autumn without a summer cottage, growing vegetables and fruits on a personal plot, and growing flowers. worldluxrealty.com
Today in our country, almost every family, to one degree or another, is engaged in work with land and plants, agriculture or farming, dacha, vegetable garden, garden, hothouse or flower business. Surely in every family there are at least home flowers, some ornamental plants that need care, which means that minimal knowledge is needed how and when to take care of them, watering, feeding, pruning and grafting, fertilizing, replanting, pruning branches and shrubs, irrigate and loosen the soil, etc.
Idle Moon in 2020, Moon days without a Course
Orthodox calendar 2020, holidays, fasts
Horoscope for women for 2020, women and girls
For all the questions that arise from professional gardeners and gardeners, florists and summer residents, farmers and ordinary amateurs associated to one degree or another with plants and work on the ground, there are competent answers in the lunar calendar of planting and sowing, transplanting and watering, pruning and grafting. when and on what day it is best to do certain agricultural work, and on which it is absolutely impossible to do this.
In the lunar calendar for planting red and black currants, when it is most favorable to plant currants with cuttings and seedlings in October 2020 according to the dates in the table, gardeners and summer residents will learn about such days and time periods, as well as much more, from the material proposed below for the future summer season ...
In the lunar sowing calendar, summer residents will find information on planting currants with seedlings and cuttings in October 2020, red, white and black, pruning and transplanting it, as well as another - days of weeding and loosening, pest control and the introduction of organic or mineral fertilizers, which will help for them to get a decent harvest for their hard work in the new summer cottage season.
Beautiful manicure ideas, with trendy 2020 nail ideas
Beautiful haircuts 2020, ideas with the most beautiful hairstyles
Hair coloring on auspicious days 2020, lunar calendar
The lunar calendar will tell summer residents not only about favorable planting days for currants in October 2020, when it is most optimal to plant currants with seedlings and cuttings, but also other information about trees and plants, watering and weeding, pruning and grafting, when weed and loosen the soil, apply mineral or organic fertilizers to the soil, huddle or dive plants, and much more.
Autumn planting of seedlings
Autumn is a great time for planting shrubs, including black currants. If you give it enough time to root before the onset of cold weather, next spring it will already delight you with its first harvest.
For planting, both purchased seedlings or divided bushes, and young bushes grown from cuttings are suitable.
Preparing for landing
Before planting, lower the seedlings by roots in water for a couple of hours and prepare for each:
- Two buckets of water
- One bucket of humus
- Half a bucket of sand
- Half a liter of wood ash.
The currant loves sunny places, but it also tolerates partial shade well. Consider this when choosing a suitable place for her.
Surely she will feel good at the boundary between the sites or along a non-deaf fence, if you step back about a meter from it.
Over time, overgrown bushes will create a hedge.
Decide on the number of bushes. There should be enough space to plant them at a distance of 100-120 cm from each other. With proper care and regular anti-aging pruning, currants can grow in one area for more than 30 years.
This plant does not like the close standing of groundwater. If their level is less than one meter from the surface of the earth or there is melt water for a long time in the selected area in the spring, then it is necessary to dig a drainage ditch along the plantings to drain excess moisture.
When to plant
It depends on the weather. You can start at the end of August, but if it is still very hot and dry at this time, it is better to postpone it until September or even October. The main thing is that from the moment of planting to the onset of stable cold weather, at least a month should pass.
In central Russia, you can safely plant black currants until the end of September, especially if the autumn is warm and rainy. But if you are late and bought seedlings too late, it is better to dig them in until spring almost horizontally - this way it will be better preserved.
How to plant
The roots of black currant are superficial, so you don't need to dig a deep hole for it.
- A hole with a diameter of 40 cm and a depth of about one and a half bayonets of a shovel is enough.
- Such a depth is necessary for the introduction of humus, a bucket of which, together with sand and ash, is poured into the planting pit and mixed with the ground.
Preparing the soil for planting
- Then you need to pour one bucket of water into it and leave to soak.
The soil in the planting hole must be moist
- The seedling is installed at an inclination in a prepared place so that its root collar is 3-4 centimeters below ground level.
- Having covered the hole with earth, the planted currants are watered, spending another bucket of water on each bush.
- After that, the planting must be mulched with hay, grass or humus in order to prevent the evaporation of moisture and prevent the earthen coma from hardening.
Mulching is a great way to protect the land from drying out and weed growth
After mulching, you will have to water the plants only if the autumn is completely dry. Otherwise, nothing needs to be done, before the cold weather it will take root in a new place, and in the spring it will begin to grow.
What to avoid when planting currants
When planting blackcurrant seedlings in a permanent place, it is important to avoid the following mistakes:
- Too late to plant. In this case, the plants may not have time to take root and die in frost. It is better to dig them in before spring.
You need to dig in seedlings almost horizontally.
- Plant in deep shade or wetland. And also in areas where rain or melt water accumulates, or near groundwater.
Advice. If there is no other way out, be sure to organize a drainage system, and pour sand, gravel, small stones or broken shards at the bottom of the planting pit to avoid stagnation of water at the roots.
Drainage grooves prevent water from stagnating at the roots
- Plant vertically. In general, the currants will not die because of this and will even grow, but slowly. With a deep, inclined planting, new shoots quickly appear from the buds that are underground, forming additional roots. They strengthen the young plant, provide it with sufficient nutrition, so the bushes develop better.
- Plant above ground level on a mound. In this case, the roots of the plant will be poorly protected from frost.
And do not forget to monitor the moisture content of the earth; if necessary, the seedlings must be watered.
The plant will not take root without watering in dry weather.