Video about eucharis. Watch a video clip about eucharis (Amazonian lily) and its species.
Video about eucharis
4.511111Rating 4.50 (4 votes)
Consider the most common problems and diseases of Eucharis or Amazonian lily.
The main problems with the cultivation of Eucharis arise when the rules of its maintenance are violated. Common signs of plant disease include loss of foliage, rotting of bulbs or lack of flowering.
If you notice the problem in time, then it will not be difficult to save the lily from death. Eucharis diseases are treated with simple transplants and changes in conditions or with drugs that can be found in any specialty flower shop.
Leaves turn yellow and die
Why do leaves turn yellow and die off at home and what to do?
Yellowing and dying off of a small amount of leaves for Eucharis is considered natural situation.
If the plant is losing a lot of foliage, then this is a cause for concern. The main reasons for this condition may be incorrect conditions, too abundant watering, or, conversely, a lack of moisture. Too high air temperature can also cause the leaves to turn yellow.
If such a problem arises, it is necessary to make attempts to save the plant as soon as possible.
What to do if Eucharis leaves turn yellow and die:
- the plant must be transplanted into a new soil
- during transplantation, it is important to check the condition of the Eucharis roots (if necessary, remove the rotten parts)
- after removing parts of the roots, they must be treated with crushed coal
- the transplanted plant must be watered in accordance with the instructions and create favorable conditions for it (direct sunlight is destructive for the Amazon lily)
- fertilizers and feeding should be applied in strict accordance with the instructions (overuse of drugs often leads to yellowing of the leaves).
Consider how to save the Eucharis bulb?
Rotting Eucharis bulbs is the most common problem resulting from over-watering the plant. In most cases, regardless of the stage of the lesion, they can be saved.
You can determine the rotting of the bulbs by their soft consistency, staining and moist texture... The affected segments must be carefully cut off with a sharp knife and covered with crushed activated carbon.
It is recommended to place the bulbs on the newspaper, wait for them to dry and plant them in the ground in the traditional way. The place for drying must be chosen maximally ventilated and with moderate lighting.
Another cause of damage to the bulb can be the appearance pests... It is not difficult to recognize them - on the surface it is easy to notice small parasites resembling aphids. In this case, there are two ways to save the bulb.
- The easiest option is heat treatment. The bulbs must be immersed in hot water (temperature maximum 45 degrees) for several hours. After this procedure, they are dried and planted in new soil.
- A more complex method is the use of drugs. In five liters of water it is necessary to dilute 10 ml of "BI 58" and "Actellika". In the resulting solution, the bulbs are soaked for several hours, after which they can be planted, after drying.
The plant does not bloom, what should I do?
Why does Eucharis not bloom at home and how to make the plant bloom?
Drafts, excessive sunlight or darkening are the main factors preventing buds from appearing. To eliminate the problem, it is necessary to create favorable conditions for the plant and provide proper care.
Other reasons for the lack of flowering of Eucharis:
- improper planting (Eucharis is planted with several bulbs, the flowering of a single plant will have to wait for several years)
- insufficient rest period (in winter, watering of the plant is reduced, and the bulbs must be at rest)
- lack of sufficient light or frequent temperature changes (bulb formation slows down)
- dry air (Eucharis is recommended to be sprayed throughout the entire time, except for the flowering period, in the absence of sufficient air moisture, the leaves will deform and dry out, and the long-awaited buds will not appear).
To stimulate the flowering of Eucharis, additives such as "Bud" or "Blossom" can be used. The drugs are used in accordance with the instructions, but for the Amazon lily, the concentration must be chosen as low as possible. Before watering the soil with stimulants, it must be moistened with plain water at room temperature.
You can find out more useful things about the flowering of Eucharis or Amazonian lily in the video below:
How to make it bloom?
If Eucharis does not bloom for a long time, it is necessary to take drastic measures for its rehabilitation. For this, the soil is dried, stopping watering and the use of fertilizers.
It is recommended to carry out the specified procedure before the onset of winter. Eucharis must spend the entire cold period at rest. The transplant must be done in early spring... Subject to the rules, the first flowers will appear as soon as possible.
Meet by clothes
Indoor conditions are difficult for plants, in captivity they turn out to be smaller, more painful, more modest than they would look in the natural environment. This statement, fortunately, does not apply to eucharis - a beautiful flower, so adapted to the "apartment housing" that its appearance on the windowsill differs little from the natural one.
Eucharis is a bulbous plant from the amaryllis family. In Europe, it appeared relatively recently, at the beginning of the 19th century, and the homeland of the flower is the warm slopes of the South American Andes, secluded forests in the upper reaches of the Amazon. Probably, it was geography that guided the Dutch botanists, who called the plant "Amazonian lily".
In fact, the lily eucharis outwardly resembles, rather, a daffodil, only larger. A tall, strong peduncle grows from a bulb with an average diameter of 4 cm (there are both larger and smaller). On the peduncle, large and wide lanceolate leaves shine attractively. They seem to be so confident in their irresistibility that there are usually not many of them, from two to four. The plant looks decorative even in the absence of flowering.
The inflorescence of large, white flowers crowns the peduncle. Each eucharis flower is large, sometimes up to 12 cm in diameter, there can be 5-6 of them in the inflorescence, sometimes even up to ten. Blooming eucharis emits a pleasant, delicate scent. It is noteworthy that the plant can bloom several times a year, while often one of the blooms occurs in winter or late autumn, when many inhabitants of the windowsills are deeply asleep. This is the special value of eucharis.
In which room is it better to place a flower
The bright energy of the Amazonian lily has an exciting effect on people. This is an invigorating flower that you can't keep in every room of the house. Signs say that eucharis is great for offices, where it enhances efficiency, suggests unusual and non-standard solutions.
It is recommended to place eucharis in the children's room. If there is an Amazon lily on the windowsill in the nursery, the child grows sociable, active, and is drawn to knowledge. It is not recommended to put a plant in the bedroom.
The bedroom is a place of rest and relaxation. But the powerful energy of the plant invigorates and does not allow you to relax. Therefore, people who believe in omens will not put a flower in the bedroom. Then bad sleep and sleepless nights will be provided.
Since the plant is native to the swampy forests of the Amazon, caring for it at home will require certain skills and dexterity from the owner. It is required to carefully follow the rules for keeping the plant, temperature and watering regime, otherwise it will die.
Eucharis loves warmth. Even in the summer heat, when the thermometer rises to 30 degrees Celsius, he feels great. In winter, it is important to ensure that the temperature in the room where the eucharis lives does not fall below 15 degrees. If the summer is warm, the plant can be taken out into the fresh air - on the balcony or in the garden. You can also bury the bulbs for the summer in open ground, and in the fall, transplant new babies into pots, thus multiplying the plant.
Do not place the plant in direct sunlight, because the sun will burn the foliage. But you shouldn't put it in a shaded place either. Find the eucharisa in such a position that diffused sunlight falls on it. However, even if you put it on a north-facing window, the flower will feel great. If there is no room on the windowsill, you can place the plant in the shade, but in this case, artificial lighting should be provided using LED lamps. Make sure the adult gets enough light from all directions.
Eucharis is a tropical plant, so it likes high humidity indoors and in a pot. Such conditions can be achieved with the help of regular watering and spraying of the leaves. Sometimes you should wipe the foliage with a damp sponge to avoid dust accumulation on the plant. When eucharis is in bloom, it is best not to spray it as this can damage the leaves. During the period of active growth of the Amazonian lily eucharis, it is watered 2 times a week with water at room temperature. After flowering, it is better to reduce the number of waterings to 1 time per week. But you need to make sure that the soil in the pot does not dry out.
When cultivating eucharis, experienced flower growers prefer nutritious, loose soil. Before buying, the soil can be wetted and held in a fist - if it sticks together into a lump, then it is better not to purchase it. The Amazonian lily prefers loose soil. You can use this mixture: 2 parts turf, 1 part foliage, 1 part compost and 1 part sand. It is imperative to pour drainage on the bottom of the container.
It is better to choose a container for planting eucharis wide, but not too deep. The diameter of the pot is about 25-30 cm. 5-6 onions are placed in each pot. Eucharis feels good in cramped conditions.
In the process of development, the plant is transplanted, it is better to do this once every 3-4 years in early spring. Eucharis loves tightness and does not tolerate being disturbed by his roots. Even when you decide to transplant it, choose a pot just a couple of centimeters larger in diameter.
The easiest way to propagate a plant is by dividing the bulbs. In this case, the children are separated from the main tuber and they are planted in 4 pieces in a new container. After transplanting, the bulb is watered with plenty of water and is not disturbed for 2 weeks. Be sure to straighten the roots when transplanting! Some experienced flower growers propagate eucharis using seeds, but this method is very laborious and practically not used in practice.
Several times a year, usually before the plant blooms, eucharis is fed with a special nutrient solution for houseplants, which can be found in any gardening store. After flowering, feeding is stopped for a while. If desired, you can feed the plant with organic matter and a mineral mixture, alternating them.
with proper care, the flower does not get sick and blooms beautifully
The Amazon lily requires a transplant only when the pot is ready to burst from the number of overgrown bulbs. The closer the children get, the more abundantly it blooms this is a plant.
Transfer to a new container is carried out by the transshipment method:
Read more about how to properly transplant eucharis here.
Problems that can be faced when growing eucharis
The Amazon lily is not the most favorite flower among pests, but sometimes the turn comes to her.
If the conditions of detention are not respected or there are infected flowers nearby, eucharis may suffer from:
- thrips (light spots on the top of the leaves and their darkening)
- spider mite (silvery cobweb on the back of the leaf, blanching and further leaf fall)
- mealybug (white flakes on the plant).
Special preparations-insecticides (Actellik, Decis) will help to get rid of uninvited guests.
In addition, lily is not immune to various fungi. Among the diseases of eucharis, the most common are:
- Gray rot. The leaves become soft and lethargic, darken at the edges and become covered with a gray bloom. Reason: excess moisture at low temperatures. What to do: cut off all diseased areas, treat with copper-containing preparations, ventilate more often.
- Stagonosporosis. Red oval spots appear on the leaves and they wither. Peduncles become crooked, and the bulb rots. Reason: excess moisture, sudden changes in temperature. What to do: remove all damaged leaves, treat with copper sulfate.
Also, if the bulb of eucharis rots, this may be the result of excessive watering. Lily does not tolerate waterlogging and will better tolerate a lack of water than an excess of it. It is urgent to get the bulb, remove the rotten parts and treat with a fungicide. It is better to replace the land and continue to reduce the frequency of watering in order to prevent water stagnation again.
But, be that as it may, do not let possible problems and failures stop you before the goal of getting a room lily with wide leaves. A chic decorative look of a deciduous rosette, even outside of flowering, will decorate a room. And when tender buds appear, all doubts will disappear, and you will understand - this flower is really worth growing!
Why eucharis does not bloom in any way and what to do
If eucharis does not bloom, what to do? First, check the containment environment for the following errors:
- In winter, the air temperature remains too high.
- Sharp temperature changes - more than 7 ° С - during the day.
- There is no dormant period: throughout the winter, the flower continues to be fed and watered often.
- From the beginning of spring, the plant is watered less than 2 times a week. If eucharis constantly lacks moisture, then this may not affect the state of the leaves, and the ability to bloom will be lost.
- Insufficient nutrients in the soil - no fertilizers are applied.
- Too large a flowerpot for a flower (the distance from the bulbs to the edges is more than 5 cm) may also be the reason why eucharis does not bloom.
- The plant, on the contrary, has been living in one pot for more than 3 years.
- Excessive watering has led to fungal infection of the bulb.
Why leaves turn yellow and spots appear on them
There may be several reasons why the leaves turn yellow and die off:
- The plant was recently transplanted and the roots were damaged.
- The flower stands in a draft or is exposed to frequent and significant temperature changes.
- Watering for a long time is carried out with hard water.
- The applied fertilizers have an alkaline pH (above 7).
- Abundant and frequent watering caused the bulbs to rot.
Disease and pest control
Eucharis amazon contains the substance lycorinthat repels pests and protects even surrounding crops from disease.
Important! For humans and animals, this alkaloid is poisonous: it causes vomiting, salivation, tremors, convulsions, spasms of the digestive system, pressure reduction.
If parasites are on the flower (thrips, scale insects or spider mites), then the plant must immediately be sprayed with an insecticidal solution. At the same time, care is being reviewed to establish the cause of the mild pest susceptibility.
With frequent watering or over-spraying, the gray rot affects the bulb. To combat it in the early stages, treatment with copper sulfate or Bordeaux liquid will help.