Croton (or codiaum) is a very bright, attractive plant whose beauty does not depend on flowering. The green-yellow, red or pink foliage is dense and appears to be very durable. If Croton is healthy, so be it: a bright bush will delight you with a riot of colors all year round. However, this flower is fussy, if you do not please it, and the leaves will hang sadly. What should be the home care for Croton so that he is always cheerful and cheerful?
Description of croton, origin, features
The houseplant croton is also called codiaum, now these names are considered to be synonyms. But from a scientific point of view, the second would be more accurate. Crotons are a genus with over a thousand species of tropical shrubs and trees. Their closest relatives, they belong to the same Molochaev family, are codiaums. According to the latest data, there are only 17 species of evergreens in this genus. And only one of them, Codiaeum variegatum, is adapted to domestic conditions. It is his flower growers who are used to calling Croton.
Croton is a tropical plant, it is used to warm and humid climates.
Codiaum is native to the tropical forests of Southeast Asia (common in India, Malaysia, Indonesia) and the islands of Oceania and Australia. The climate in these parts is mild, the temperature does not drop below +25, the rains are plentiful, but short, and the soil is always slightly damp. Therefore, the plant fell in love with high humidity and very warm, even hot, air.
According to one version, the plant got its name from an ancient people who inhabited the Moluccas (Indonesia). According to another, the naturalist scientist Karl Linnaeus gave him the name of the Italian city of Crotone, which in turn was named after the ancient Greek hero.
Croton (codiaeum), like all representatives of the Molochaev family, has milky juice. It poisonous to humans and animals. Croton milk can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and skin irritation. Therefore, you must follow safety rules: put on gloves at the beginning of work, and then wash your hands and tools. The plant should be out of reach of small children and animals.
In freedom, the codiaum grows above 3 meters
In their natural environment, crotons grow upwards by 3 meters or more. Houseplants are rarely taller than one and a half meters, and there are also compact forms up to 60 cm. As a rule, this is an erect shrub with variegated leathery foliage. The shape of the sheet plate is distinguished by many options: an elongated or very narrow oval, an ellipse with a pointed or rounded end, two or three blades. Some croton species have spiral, wavy, or bizarre foliage. Her color is no less whimsical. On one plant, you can see different shades of greenery, as well as yellow, red, pink and purple, burgundy painting. The pattern and brightness of the ornament drawn by nature depend on the conditions of the flower and the age. The more light and the older the croton, the more interesting and richer the colors will be.
The older the croton bush, the more varied and interesting its coloring.
An adult croton can bloom with good care. But inflorescences cannot compete with the variegated foliage. They resemble a brush and appear in the axils of the leaves, each with one or two dozen small whitish flowers. They are divided into male, stamen-like and similar pom-pom balls, and female ones - curved pistils. On the brush there are flowers of only one sex, but they open at the same time. Flowering greatly weakens croton, after which growth slows down by 3-4 months. Therefore, at home, flower stalks are usually removed.
Male croton flowers are balls of stamens, they are cute, but take a lot of strength from the plant
Croton has never been considered an easy species to grow. He has always enjoyed a reputation for being a capricious and demanding plant. This luxurious handsome man gets used to a new place for a long time, can get sick immediately after transplanting, requires a lot of light and high humidity all year round, does not tolerate cold and drafts.
Codiaum (croton) has become easier to grow at home, now there are devices that humidify the air, and special lamps for plants
Previously, such requirements were difficult to meet. But now flower growers have accumulated rich experience in growing whimsical croton and are successfully using it. Plants and modern devices help to fulfill the whims. To make the air tropically humid, you can use an electric humidifier or indoor fountain. Special lamps will lengthen the short daylight hours. But even with such technical support, Croton will not do without constant attention, he needs to regularly wipe the foliage, form a bush, and protect it from temperature changes and pests. This plant is suitable for caring and caring flower growers.
Croton requires a lot of attention and care from the florist.
Video: the difficulties of growing codiaum
Indoor species and plant varieties
As indoor plants, they began to grow a single species - codiaum variegatum, as well as its varieties and hybrid varieties. But they represent such a richness of shapes and colors that other types are simply not useful.
Varieties of codiaum variegatum:
- The narrow-leaved croton is equipped with long (about 20 cm) leaves, their width is no more than 1 cm. Yellow-gold strokes and specks are scattered over the green background.
- The appendage croton is variegated and green. Its leaves, wide at the base, taper in the middle to resemble a petiole, and then expand again, forming a small appendage leaf at the end.
- Curly Codiaum (crispum) - These are long, narrow, curled leaves. On the green there are stripes, spots, veins or a mesh of different shades of yellow. The brightest representative of the variety is Spirale with uniform leaf loops.
- The lobed croton is distinguished by wide leaves, divided into three parts. The central lobe is much longer and wider than the lateral lobes. Yellow streaks adorn the vibrant green of the leaf.
- Flat-leaved (platyphyllum) codiaum is a plant with large (up to 30 cm long and 10 cm wide) oval leaves, their edges are slightly wavy.
- Oval-leaved (ovalifolium) with simple leaf plates in the form of an elongated oval with a rounded end, rich yellow markings are located along the veins.
- The tortoise variety (tortile) is distinguished by leaves that are wide at the petiole, which taper towards the tip. On an olive-green background, there are red-yellow stripes along the central vein and chaotic golden spots.
- Genoa (genuinum) variety with whole oval leaves covered with a pattern of silver or gold with a reddish tint. There are forms with small and banded foliage.
- Decorated codiaum variegatum (pictum) is the original form for most hybrid varieties. It is a shrub with a straight stem (up to 1 meter in height), which is covered with dense and tough leaves. They are painted with a pattern of bright yellow, red, pink spots on a green field.
The most famous varieties and hybrids of codiaum variegatum pictum:
- Croton Petra is a branching stem with large leathery leaves. Yellow veins, edges and dots are drawn on the main green background. The shape of the leaves is varied.
- Mrs. Aiston is a variety with broad, rounded leaves. Young plants have a creamy pattern on them. With age, the color becomes more intense, acquiring pink, yellow or red. There are forms of blood red or very bright yellow hues.
- The Excellent variety is easy to recognize by its leaves, similar in shape to oak. Young leaves, at the top of the plant, are yellow-green. At the base of the trunk - burgundy.
- Koroton Mummy is distinguished by narrow, small leaves. Their edges are slightly curved from the center. Coloring combines different shades of green, yellow, red and pink.
- The Zanzibar variety has long (about 40 cm) yellow-green leaves. They curve gracefully.
- Nervia is a variety with a colored crown of bright green, lemon yellow and pale pink leaves. They are serrated with a well defined vein in the center.
- Croton Tamara is a very rare variety. Oval leaves of medium size, bicolor. On the main dark green background, light green and white spots are located closer to the edges.
- Disraeli is a variety with lobed leaves. Above they are green-yellow, below the color of red brick.
- Codiaum Black Prince with flat and wide foliage. The color is very original: on the dark green, almost black, background - red, yellow or orange markings.
Varieties and varieties of a flower in the photo
What is Croton variegatum mix
Often, specialized stores offer plants called codiaum (or croton) variegatum mix. This is not a variety, but an indication that the batch contains specimens of this variety. Their color depends on the conditions and age of the leaves. So the same plant may look different. And even experts sometimes find it difficult to accurately identify the varietal belonging of Croton.
Any variety can be hidden behind the name Croton Variegatum mix.
Video: acquaintance with crotons (codiaums)
Conditions for croton (table)
The purity of the leaves is the key to health
Croton is clean, he can get sick due to the fact that the leaves are covered with dust. Why is wet cleaning so important?
- Dust closes the pores on the leaves, and this makes it difficult to exchange air with the environment.
- The dusty film slows down the process of photosynthesis, the plant suffers from nutritional deficiencies.
- Dust can contain and accumulate harmful substances.
- Insect pests can be hidden under the dusty layer.
It takes patience to wipe croton with wavy or curly foliage, but this is important for the health of the plant.
Therefore, at least once a week, take a soft damp cloth and wipe the croton, admiring the colorful patterns. Better in the morning, so that the plant dries out before nightfall. For easier cleaning, pre-spray your handsome man.
For greater beauty, you can give the foliage a gloss. It is better to take polishing products in an aerosol can. Or try folk recipes. Polish the leaves with beer, a weak solution of vinegar or milk. Do not touch young foliage. And polish an adult carefully, do not press hard, so as not to cause injury.
Leathery leaves look good after polishing
Floriana and Croton
Croton lovers say that the most difficult thing is to ensure high humidity. It is not always possible to create tropics in an apartment, in which a picky plant feels good. Croton will enjoy living in a home greenhouse - the florarium. It is easy to maintain the required microclimate in it, including high air humidity. Making an open florarium is not difficult. You will need a container with a door or an aquarium made of glass, transparent plastic.
- Fill the container with drainage material (pebbles + charcoal), a porous soil medium with a large sand content.
- Plant tropical plants with the same care and maintenance requirements.
- Moisten the plantings, cover with a lid or just glass, put in a warm and bright place.
- The florarium plants themselves create a favorable microclimate.
- Ventilate the mini jungle from time to time when condensation appears.
- Once every few months, make the plants rain and clean the florarium: inspect the pets, remove damaged leaves, add a substrate if necessary.
Choose plants with similar habits for the florarium.
The many-faced croton is an ideal plant for a florarium. To avoid problems with leaving, you can plant different varieties. Such a garden will not be boring. Good neighbors for croton are ferns, arrowroot, fittonia, rheo, selaginella. Do not plant succulents and cacti with them.
Indoor florarium is sometimes called a garden in a bottle. Its main difference from an open one is a container with a rather narrow neck, which closes tightly. After planting, the bottle garden is watered only once, and then sealed and not opened. Plants live in a closed ecosystem. Indoor florarium is not the best choice for Croton. Its leaves are too large.
Croton is suitable for growing in an open florarium, for a garden in a bottle it is large
Is it possible to grow bonsai from codiaum
Croton patterned foliage will look great on a bonsai tree. This idea surely dawns on florists. And such bonsai are grown. But with great difficulty and loss. Croton has several qualities that make it of little use for this:
- too large and heavy leaves;
- the plant does not tolerate transplanting well, and for bonsai it is an annual operation;
- easily sheds foliage with care errors;
- the straight stem is difficult to form.
Bonsai can be grown from croton, but it is difficult, and the result will not always please
Planting and transplanting
Croton has a negative attitude towards the transplant. Therefore, young plants are transplanted, or rather transferred into a slightly larger (2-3 cm) pot, after a year, and adults after 2-3 years or less. During this procedure, try to preserve the integrity of the earthy coma as much as possible.
To grow a large codiaum bush, it will have to be replanted every 1-2 years.
If the bush has grown significantly and you do not want it to be larger, it is enough to change 5-6 cm of soil on top of the pot. Soil renewal is necessary when the old one has already turned white from salts or is too compacted.
It's time to change the soil in the pot with this croton, it looks unhealthy
Both ceramic and plastic pots are suitable for croton. But growing flowers will be better in plastic, so that it is easier to monitor the state of the root system. But for mature adult crotons, a container made of ceramics is more suitable. It is heavy and stable, and this is important: because of the massive crown, the plant can fall. In addition, natural ceramics absorbs salts that Croton does not need.
A tall croton needs a heavy and stable ceramic pot.
Choose a pot that is about the same height and width. Pay attention to the drainage holes, they must be large. Before planting, if necessary, install a croton support.
Large specimens are not transplanted, they partially renew the soil from above
Croton is used to fertile, but porous and light soil. Approximate compositions:
- universal soil for indoor plants, you can add orchid soil and charcoal;
- on 3 parts of garden land, one and a half - peat and one sand;
- a mixture of compost, leaf soil, peat and sand in equal proportions;
- into 2 parts of leafy land, one - peat, half a part of humus and sand, cut sphagnum moss for airiness;
- into two parts of leafy land, one part of humus, peat, sand.
About a quarter of the pot should be drained. It will help remove excess moisture from the roots. Expanded clay, red brick chips, polystyrene, vermiculite are suitable as a drainage material. Before planting, be sure to sterilize the soil and drainage, scald the pot with boiling water.
We transplant croton
- Place a drainage layer on the bottom of the pot.
- Pour some of the soil on top, moisten it.
- Carefully remove the plant from the old pot without breaking the root ball.
During transplantation, try to maintain the integrity of the earthen coma.
- Examine the roots, carefully remove the rotten.
- Move the plant to a new pot.
- Gradually fill the earthen lump with new soil, compacting the void between it and the wall of the pot. Shake the container slightly in the process so as not to leave empty areas.
- Water the plant lightly, spray it and place it in a slightly shaded warm place.
- After a week, return to a permanent place, look after as usual.
Croton painfully endures the change of the pot.To help him, add a rooting preparation (Kornevin, Zircon, Epin, Ecoel) to the irrigation water once a week. Can be sprayed from a very fine spray bottle with Epin solution (2-3 drops per glass of water).
Croton is stressed after transplant, treat it more carefully than usual
Most varieties of indoor croton have massive, dense leaves and a relatively thin stem. This imbalance is not noticeable at a young age. But over the years, the crown becomes richer, and the trunk does not have time to increase the weight and bends under its weight. Support is needed to keep the plant from breaking. For starters, sticks made from bamboo or another tree are suitable. You can buy a liana support (a stick wrapped in coconut fiber) or make something from scrap materials.
The support should help the croton not to bend under the weight of the crown
How to choose a healthy plant
When choosing croton in the store, pay attention to the color of the foliage. In a healthy plant, it is bright, veins are especially expressively traced. Look at the arrangement of the leaves. They look up at the top or almost parallel to the ground at the bottom of the trunk - this is the norm. Sadly hanging is a sign of illness. Examine the leaf plates carefully: dents, dry spots, dots - possibly marks left by pests. Check the stem to see if it has pits, indicating that the croton is dropping leaves. Make sure the earth ball is in good condition - not overdried or flooded. If you find alarming symptoms, it is better to refuse to purchase croton.
This plant is clearly painful, healthy croton leaves do not hang.
Keep the newly purchased croton in quarantine for at least two weeks, let it adapt to the new home. And only then transplant. All shipping soil must be removed if problems are found: rot, sourness, pests. If there is nothing, save the roots by leaving the soil.
Video: flower transplant lesson
Croton care at home
When caring for a luxurious Croton, consider its tropical inclinations: love of warmth and high humidity. And we must also remember that the bright pattern of the leaves must be maintained with dressings. And do not forget about the formation of a bush.
How to water and fertilize
Large leaves evaporate a lot of moisture. Therefore, Croton loves soft and slightly warm water, and abundant watering in spring and summer. It is only important to maintain balance and not flood the plant. Excess moisture leads to root rot. Water croton during active growth, when the topsoil dries out by 1–2 cm.
Croton is watered and sprayed with soft, warm water
Reduce watering in the fall. And in winter, wait until the soil is dry for at least two days, and only then water. Stick to the rule: the cooler the air, the more modest the watering. But do not allow the earthen coma to dry out. If the soil is completely dry, the croton will hang the leaves. You can return them to their normal state: do watering by dipping the pot and spray the plant.
Croton is sensitive not only to water quality, but also to its temperature. It should be settled or filtered, slightly warmed up. Croton poured with cold water can become leafy.
To maintain the brightness of the foliage, regular feeding is needed.
In the spring and summer, twice a month, fertilize the colorful, handsome man with mineral dressings. Pay attention to their composition. Potassium is most useful for the bright leaves of the plant. Nitrogen negatively affects their color. Croton also needs food in winter. But at this time, feed only once a month and reduce the dosage of the nutrient solution. Apply fertilizer after watering to avoid damaging the roots.
Croton is useful, especially if he is capricious, growth stimulants (Epin, Zircon, Uniflor Rost). They are used no more than twice a month, they can be sprayed with a solution or watered.
Video: Croton rejoices at watering
Peace and winter illumination
Croton does not have a pronounced rest period; it simply stops growth with the arrival of cold weather and a decrease in daylight hours. The best temperature for wintering is + 18–20. Below it is already disastrous for a gentle croton. And he already suffers without the sun. An artificial increase in daylight hours to 12-14 hours will help him overwinter.
If you lengthen the daylight hours in winter, Croton will continue to grow foliage.
Croton will grow motley leaves under the lamps in winter. Incandescent lamps are not suitable for illumination. The plant needs LED lamps of a warm spectrum, they give the maximum effect. Slightly worse are phytolamps, gas-discharge lamps or ordinary fluorescent lamps.
In order for croton to retain an attractive appearance for many years, it needs regular pruning, which is carried out in the spring, until the plant begins to grow actively. The upper shoots are shortened, forcing lateral buds to develop. The first time a young croton is pinched when its growth is only 15-17 cm. Then every 20 cm. It is recommended to cut a plant with a height of 40 cm, the cut branches will become cuttings for propagation.
Spring croton pruning awakens lateral buds
Remember to wear protective gloves before croton trimming. The milky sap of the plant is poisonous, but it quickly heals the wounds. For greater safety, you can sprinkle them with sulfur or coal powder.
The haircut is also hygienic: remove dried twigs eaten by pests. But Croton does not always understand the importance of the procedure and begins to be capricious. To improve the mood and tone of the plant, spray it, you can use a stimulant, and cover with a bag. A mini greenhouse will help the croton get used to the new shape.
Care errors and their elimination (table)
How to save a croton that has thrown off all the leaves
Croton, which has lost all the leaves, but retained a living trunk and roots, you can try to reanimate.
- Dissolve Epin in warm water. Spray the plant liberally.
- Put in a bag and tie.
- Put away at night in a warm place, if during the day - then in a shaded place.
- Remove the bag after 10-12 hours, put the pot in a warm, light place, only without direct sun.
- Water as the soil dries, very little. If there are no leaves, then the moisture almost does not evaporate. There is a danger of waterlogging the soil.
- After that, the lateral kidneys should wake up.
- Recovery has not come - check the condition of the roots and trunk.
- If they are alive, repeat the procedure after 10-14 days.
- The barrel dries up - resuscitation is unlikely to help.
Video: resuscitation of a withered croton by transplantation
Diseases and pests (table)
Croton is most often propagated by cuttings, less often by seeds or air layers.
It is carried out in the spring, usually after shearing the plant. Rooting will take place better in a heated greenhouse.
- Cut the cuttings 6–8 cm from lignified healthy shoots.
Healthy adult shoots are needed for rooting.
- Remove the lower leaves, cut the upper ones in half.
- Rinse off the milky juice in running water.
- Root the cuttings and sprinkle with charcoal. Let them air for 2 hours.
- Submerge the cuttings in a moist, light substrate (peat + sand).
Rooting requires a light substrate, high temperature and humidity.
- Close the greenhouse with a lid, maintain the temperature + 25-28 degrees.
- Place it in a bright place without direct sun.
- It will take 2-3 weeks to root. Then plant the cuttings in separate pots with a nutritious substrate.
After rooting, transplant the young crotons into nutrient soil.
Some growers claim that Croton can be propagated by leaves. They are buried in the soil and covered with a bag. The seedling is occasionally sprayed, watered, kept in partial shade. Roots will grow back in 2-3 months. However, the experiment will not work if there is not at least one bud for the development of the shoot. Therefore, together with the leaf, it is imperative to cut off a piece of the stem.
A leaf that has given roots does not guarantee that a new plant will grow.
To propagate croton by seeds is long and difficult. It should be noted that this method does not preserve parental qualities, and the seeds quickly lose their germination. And you can't do without a greenhouse with bottom heating.
Video: croton propagation by air layers
Croton (or codiaum) is a very elegant plant. Its painted, patterned leaves will adorn any room. But not everywhere you can grow a capricious handsome man. Sun, warmth and humid air - that's what he needs for a long and beautiful life. These conditions are not so difficult to fulfill. Experienced florists successfully grow entire collections of luxurious plants. They know where one croton has settled, the other will take root easier.
I am a philologist by education. My hobbies are reading, traveling, caring for my garden and pets. Therefore, much of what I am writing about is not theory at all, but a practice I have gone through personally.
Rate the article:
(16 votes, average: 3.9 out of 5)
Share with your friends!
Croton: planting and caring for a variegated handsome man
Croton will adorn any apartment or house
Croton (another name - codiaum) is a herbaceous evergreen shrub or tree that attracts extremely diverse, both in shape and color, leaves - large, leathery, up to 30 cm long, they can be wide or narrow, ribbon-like, laurel-like, bizarre -cut or spiral-twisted Some varieties of crotons have such an unusual bizarre color of the leaf plate that, looking at the photo, a suspicion may well creep in, and not whether a proofreader has put a hand on it.
Carved leaves in the form of an oak leaf
One of the varieties of croton with oblong leaves
Ribbon variety of tropical plant
Studying different types of croton, it seems that croton used the entire supply of beauty to decorate the leaves, but the flowers of this plant are very unsightly, and flowering at home is extremely rare. In addition, flowering significantly reduces the vitality of the plant, therefore, it is advisable to remove them even at the stage of the appearance of buds.
According to Feng Shui, it will be useful to install a croton flower in a teenager's room - it strengthens willpower and adds determination, helps to overcome difficulties and find a way out of the most confusing situation or long-term conflict.
The maximum height of a croton living in a room reaches 1 m
Codiaum is on the list of the most poisonous plants!
But, only its juice, which is inside, is poisonous, so you can safely iron it. This plant is not for a nursery, for obvious reasons. Be sure to keep it away from pets, especially overly curious ones! If your pet is still full, be sure to show it to the veterinarian.
- Family: Euphorbiaceae (Euphorbiaceae).
- Homeland: tropics of Asia, Oceania.
- Flowering: rarely indoors, in summer.
- Height: medium.
- Light: bright diffused. The plant is shaded from the direct sun.
- Temperature: 20-22 ° C in summer and at least 18 ° C in winter.
- Watering: all year round, regularly and abundantly, with soft lukewarm settled water, as the upper layer of the substrate dries up.
- Air humidity: high. Regularly, if possible every day, the plant should be sprayed with soft, settled water (keeping an eye on the low content of lime in the water), wiped with a damp cloth and often washed the leaves.
- Top dressing: mineral and organic fertilizers (from spring to autumn - once a week, in winter - once a month).
- Pruning: Formative throughout the year.
- Rest period: not expressed.
- Transplant: in the spring, young annually, large overgrown specimens are transplanted or reloaded every 2-3 years.
- Reproduction: seeds and cuttings.
Leaves are leathery, varied in shape: asymmetrical, lobed, three-lobed, oblong-lanceolate, broadly ovate, obtuse or pointed, whole-edged, notched, twisted, tied. The color of the leaves is yellow-green, green, red-brown with yellow, red, orange veins. Young leaves are painted in lighter colors, which are gradually replaced by dark ones and acquire a red-burgundy hue, so one plant is painted in several colors at the same time.
They bloom with inconspicuous yellowish-white small flowers, collected in axillary carpal inflorescences.
- Of all the codiaeum species, only the variegated codiaeum (Codiaeum variegatum) and its varieties are used for growing at home.
- Plants are prized for the beauty of their leaves.
- Codiaums are used to decorate compositions, create interiors, and compose winter gardens.
Important! Often Codiaeum is mistakenly called Croton, although these are different plants from the same family - Euphorbia. Codiaum is a more ornamental plant, used for growing at home, conservatories, etc., and Croton is a wild plant used as a spice, varnishes, in medicine, and even in some alcoholic beverages.
Variegated codiemum (Codiaeum pictum). The native land of the plant is East India, the Sunda and Moluccas, the jungles of Malaysia. Evergreens, shrubs 1.5-2.5 m tall or tall, 3-6 m tall, branched trees with bare branches and shoots. In indoor conditions, the size of the plant is much smaller. (I have it already 1 meter).
- The leaves are large, up to 30 cm, leathery, with a regular arrangement.
- The leaves have a variety of bright colors with prominent yellow, red or green veins: all shades of yellow and green, orange and red, sometimes even black is present.
- The plant also has a wide variety of leaf blade shapes: linear, lanceolate, oval, lobed, guitar-shaped.
- The edges of the leaves are spirally twisted, wavy, even, with constrictions.
- Each plant is reminiscent of a riot of autumn deciduous forest colors, and it retains its royal attire all year round for many years.
The plant is dioecious. Male and female flowers differ from each other in structure and are collected in racemose inflorescences. Women do not have petals, men have a corolla and a cup
For the first time in the West, motley codiaum became known in the first half of the 19th century.
Numerous different shapes and grades are available.
Features of proper care for Croton
All varieties, including croton zanzibar, are demanding for good lighting. Only in this case it will be possible to admire the decorative colors. Lack of light leads to wilting of the leaves. You need to place the flowerpot on the windows facing east or west. The southern window will also do, but in this case it will be necessary to artificially create a shadow so that the sun does not burn the leaves.
Temperature and humidity
Features of temperature and humidity. In spring and summer, it is required to maintain the temperature within 25 degrees, in winter not higher than 18. An indoor flower can be taken outside, but the main thing is that the outside temperature does not fall below 14 ° C.
Tropical plants are demanding on moisture, so you need to systematically spray and rinse the leaves. The humidity level should be around 40%. There should always be wet pebbles or expanded clay in the pallet. Especially this must be monitored in winter, while the heating is working, otherwise the croton sheds its leaves.
The soil is also important for the plant. You can use ready-made soil for ornamental crops or prepare them yourself. We take sand, turf and leafy soil in a ratio of 2: 1: 1.
Features of watering and feeding
Croton requires special watering in different seasons of the year. In spring and summer, they are often watered, but in winter only when the clod of earth dries up to the middle of the pot. Watered only with settled and warm water.
With insufficient watering, leaves dry and fall. Waterlogging leads to decay and death of the root system.
As for dressings, they should be carried out from the beginning of spring to the end of summer 2 times a month. You need to use only special formulations.
How to prune a plant
Pruning should be a must for the croton flower. Leaving in this case will allow you to form a beautiful crown and will serve as the beginning of active branching.The place of cutting or pinching should be sprinkled with sulfur or activated carbon so that decay does not begin. You do not need to throw out the trimmed branches, this is an excellent breeding material.
The first pruning is carried out when the height of the codiaum is 15 cm. The next, when the plant grows another 20 cm. Many novice growers are interested in the question of what to do with dry shoots, when they can be removed. To make the ornamental plant look elegant, dry twigs are removed when the need arose. Croton will not suffer in this case.
Reviews about growing and caring for codiaum at home
Mine love sun and spraying. In the summer, I spray it almost every day, or twice a day. In winter, they stand on a sunny window. I also spray, but not so often. I shower them once a week. In the spring, I renew the top layer of the earth. In general, I love them. By the way, I bought a small one here on the forum from someone from the florists.
I have three plants in a pot, for bushiness, so to speak. It blooms every year and for a long time and at the same time several peduncles at once, they are also with continuation (!). Many people say that it is inconspicuous, but I really like it, and the smell too ... .. I can not say anything about the conditions of detention and lighting. At first, our sun was east, then almost nothing at all, now it is west. Contained in Spartan conditions, up to dropping leaves from underwatering…. and blooms! All this summer I stood on a sunny balcony. The leaves are awesomely beautiful orange-yellow, but there were no flowers. Now we will see what we will do after returning to the apartment. He generally came from my trash can, she brought it 10 years ago, and it's straight forward with us since then
Although I have Petra Croton a few years ago, when after the repair he threw off almost all the leaves from stress and stood almost bald for six months, as a result, he began to grow 4 new branches, but they develop much more slowly than the top, so in the spring I am going to cut off the upper part for him.
I was here recently with a friend. I saw a croton with her height as tall as me, standing in a tub on the floor. I was quietly shocked. rjhjdrf The hostess said that she did not look after him at all, and was already thinking of throwing him out, they say, he was tired of ... the flowers were plain. Stands in the shade, she never washes it ... there is no tick, and she doesn’t even know what it is .... The whole care of the hostess, it was poured when she remembered. Basically it is dry… .Therefore, believe after that that crotons are very capricious.
you run around with this flower, and it, ungrateful, cannot stand it for more than two years. In addition, most of the crotons sold in our stores are "Dutch", and no matter how hard you try, you will not make friends with them. And I am sure that those who say that croton is an unpretentious plant just take care of it not very long ago and did not have time to learn all the "whims" of croton ..
Croton is a very refined and noble plant that evokes only pleasant emotions, which means it cheers up. But for everything to work out, you must help the handsome man survive the period of adaptation in a new place, and, of course, do not forget about proper care. And then a bright holiday will be with you for many years.