Whitefly is a dangerous pest that can carry fungal and viral diseases, such as powdery mildew or gray rot. The growth and development of vegetables is significantly affected by it. Fortunately, proven folk remedies help to quickly get rid of an insect invasion.
An infusion of onion peels will scare away insects with its pungent odor. To prepare it, you will need half a bucket of fresh husk, which you need to pour 10 liters of warm water. The tool must be insisted for at least two days. After that, you should strain the infusion and water the beds with plants attacked by the whitefly with it.
Processing should be done regularly, once a week.
Whiteflies really do not like the smell of tansy - often summer residents plant this plant around the beds as a prevention of the appearance of pests. However, if the moment is missed, you can prepare a remedy based on dry plant inflorescences.
Pour a bucket of water over them and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. After that, add 50 g of liquid soap or shavings of household laundry and mix thoroughly until a uniform consistency is formed. The solution should be filtered and used for watering vegetable crops or spraying.
Remember to repeat the procedure every 10 days, and also after the rain has passed.
If you have a pack of dry tobacco, it will serve as an excellent base for a whitefly infusion. If not, buy cigarettes and gut the tobacco from them. The workpiece must be poured with a liter of warm water and placed in a dark, dry place for five days. After that, the infusion will be ready for use.
Strain the product, pour it into a spray bottle and spray the vegetables thoroughly. You must repeat the procedure every three days until the whiteflies finally leave your area.
Wood ash will perfectly cope with the invasion of not only whiteflies, but also aphids or fleas.
To begin with, it can be scattered over the soil in a dry version. As for the row spacings and plant stems, they must be treated with a solution. Pour a glass of ash with 5 liters of water and simmer for 15 minutes over low heat. Then the broth must be cooled and the beds must be irrigated with a broom or by spraying.
Coniferous bath concentrate
Coniferous bath concentrate can be purchased at a pharmacy or perfume shop - often summer residents use it to scare off pests and treat diseases in plants. To prepare a solution against whiteflies, 6 tbsp will be enough. l. 10 liters of water.
Stir the mixture well and use immediately, spraying the plants thoroughly. For better adhesion of the solution to the stems and leaves, you can add a couple of tablespoons of liquid soap to the product.
The concentrate is not dangerous for plants, it cannot cause their burns, but for many insects it is destructive - in addition to whiteflies, larvae and beetles suffer from it.
Garlic infusion will also effectively help get rid of the whitefly population. For 10 liters of hot water, 2 chopped cloves of garlic will be enough.
The product should be infused in a cool, dark place for at least a day. Then the infusion is filtered, poured into a spray bottle and the plants are treated with it.
The procedure must be repeated every week for a month until the whiteflies leave the area.
A good remedy against whiteflies will be an infusion based on citrus peels. The peel of lemons or oranges in a volume of 500 g should be soaked in cold water for 4-5 hours, and then mince. Then the workpiece should be covered with a lid and removed to a dark, dry place - to infuse. After five days, the product is filtered and bottled.
Before using the infusion, dissolve 100 g in a bucket of water, then treat the plants. It is recommended to keep the remains of the product under closed lids and in a cool room.
Rate the article:
(3 votes, average: 3.7 out of 5)
Share with your friends!
Whitefly: remedies and recommendations for combating whitefly on indoor plants
Great harm is done to indoor and garden flowers by a small whitefly butterfly, therefore, the fight against a flying pest insect is relevant at all times. Whitefly - This is a butterfly 1.5-3 mm long, with a white body and wings, which are covered with powdery pollen. A favorite delicacy of an adult butterfly and its voracious larvae is plant sap, which the pests suck them out. Without nutritious juices, the plants begin to lose their vitality, the leaves become colorless, and gradually die off. That is why timely detection and disposal of this pest is so important.
Whitefly in the garden: a description of the pest and signs of damage
Whitefly (lat.Aleyrodidae) is a common harmful insect in our latitudes that can cause serious damage to many vegetable and berry crops. The peculiarity of the parasite is its rapid development and reproduction. The cyclic transformation of a larva into an adult capable of reproducing offspring does not exceed 20 days.
During development, the whitefly caterpillar absorbs plant juices. As a result, growth slows down, vital processes decrease. It is also dangerous because it is often a carrier of infectious diseases.
When insects of plant crops are damaged, yellowing and curling of leaves, wilting of buds can be observed. To understand how to deal with a whitefly in the garden, you need to know about the features of its life.
Whitefly waste product eats away at the leaf plate
Adults harm plants by excreting fecal pollen. This substance corrodes and deforms the surface of the crop. At the same time, the insect population is constantly growing - as the females lay eggs on the inside of the leaves.
A serious problem is that pest killers are useless in the fight against larvae. Therefore, if you notice this insect in the garden, comprehensive control measures are needed.
Whitefly larva sucks sap from the plant and weakens it
The insect loves warmth and humidity; at temperatures below 10 degrees, it dies. But the eggs of the parasite tolerate frosts, so whitefly butterflies may suddenly appear in the spring. The ideal habitat for the pest is the lack of ventilation and the close proximity of crops.
To minimize the risk of a parasite on the site, you should adhere to the following rules:
- in greenhouses, provide regular and high-quality ventilation
- control humidity and avoid over-watering
- it is recommended to fertilize the plants regularly
- plant vegetables and berries at a sufficient distance.
There are many ways to fight insects, the most effective is the use of chemicals: Aktara, Malathion, Neudosan. But whitefly eggs do not allow chemistry to pass inside, so spray courses are carried out systematically as the larvae appear.
Folk remedies are less traumatic for plants. With the help of various traps, infusions, solutions and fumigators, it is possible to effectively neutralize adults and save the crop.
Experienced gardeners and gardeners know that it is much easier to prevent the appearance of a pest on their site than to fight it for a long time and persistently. In this regard, preventive measures play an important role in the fight against whitefly:
- Systematically inspect the crops, while especially carefully inspecting the seamy surface of the leaf plates, since the pest loves to hide and lay eggs there. Remember that crops growing in conditions of high humidity and high temperatures need special attention.
- Feed the plants in a timely manner and provide them with good care, since pests affect weakened specimens first of all.
Ways to deal with whitefly in a greenhouse
Whitefly remedies (drugs)
If quarantine measures for seedlings have not helped, and whiteflies have firmly chosen the greenhouse, you will have to resort to chemicals. To stop the spread of the parasite and its larvae by biological methods can be effective only if the foci are single and small in number. It is quite problematic to get rid of the massive colonies of aleurodids using folk methods. Undoubtedly, with numerous accumulations of pesticides will be much more effective than natural remedies, but one should not forget about their high toxicity.
Below we list the main insecticidal agents and preparations for the destruction of whiteflies:
- Aktara... A complex drug with a prolonged action. Used to prepare a solution that is poured under the bush. When there are a lot of whitefly individuals, you can additionally process the leaves by spraying the solution with a spray bottle. To consolidate the effect, the procedure is repeated several more times, arranging a week break between sessions. Experienced gardeners recommend removing insects the first time. Why do you need to prepare a concentrated solution of Aktar, i.e. 3-4 times the dosage relative to that indicated in the instructions.
- Confidor... The drug has a systemic effect. On plants treated with confidor, pests die after 1.5 hours. Analogs of the drug are also produced, which no less effectively lead to the death of whiteflies. In different proportions, the substance can be part of such products as Copfidor, Gaucho, Admir, Marathon, Commander, Provado and Applound.
- Akarin (Agravertine)... It belongs to the strongest agricultural pesticides, which effectively fights not only whiteflies, but also many pests, kills spider mites, Colorado beetles. The contents of 4 ml ampoules are diluted in water and the leaves are sprayed with the resulting solution. It is important that the substance gets on the body of the insect. The drug is allowed to be used in hot weather, it does not leave burns on the surface.
- Spark (Bio, Gold, Double Effect)... This versatile and fast-acting formulation promotes the death of insects from the very first treatment. Sales form: ampoules, powder, tablets, sticks. The composition includes nicotinoid alkaloids or tobacco. The tool gives a long-term effect, provides protection to shoots that have formed after treatment. The solution, once in the ground, penetrates the root system and remains in the tissues for about 3 weeks. Not addictive to pests, poisoning adults and larvae.
- Fitoverm... An insecticide that is used in the fight against almost all pests. One seasonal treatment will be enough to get rid of a colony of larvae on flowers and ornamental plants. Reprocessing helps to forget about the problem forever.
- Actellic... Belongs to the class of organophosphorus compounds, it is widely used to kill ticks and other insectivores. It has a pungent and repulsive odor, is toxic, does not lose its properties at high temperatures. Suitable for processing crops that grow in open field conditions. Handle the drug with extreme caution.
- Tanrek... Another popular insecticidal agent, which has a contact-intestinal effect on many parasites, effectively fights the whitefly colony. It successfully rescues crops with smooth leaf blades from insects. The velvety foliage, protected by a layer of hairs, is sprayed with a fine spray.
Whitefly on tomatoes in a greenhouse
In summer, whitefly pests prefer to attack plants that grow in ordinary beds. With the arrival of autumn cold weather, they hide in greenhouses, greenhouses or indoors among indoor flowers.
Vague yellow spots appearing on the leaf blades indicate the appearance of whitefly or larvae on the tomatoes. The spots are usually sticky to the touch. They remain in the place of accumulation of pests. In order to prevent the spread of the colony, the leaves are regularly examined from all sides. When the first traces of a whitefly are found, action is taken immediately.
To get rid of the whitefly, which damages greenhouse tomatoes, a soap solution will help. The foliage is first thoroughly washed with cool water and then sprayed with concentrated soapy water. For this purpose, tar soap is rubbed on a grater and dissolved in water. The treated leaves are left in this position for an hour, then the solution is washed off. Such a folk remedy is safe for vegetables. To provide the tomatoes with reliable protection, the procedure is repeated many times.
You can expel whitefly pests from tomato bushes using glue traps, which must be evenly placed at different ends of the greenhouse. To reduce the number of pests, fly sticky tapes are hung. They are impregnated with a special compound that attracts insects. The described traps will help solve the problem if we are talking only about adults. To destroy the larvae on tomatoes, the bushes are sprayed with a garlic solution or infusion of dandelion roots or leaves.