Karatop is an early potato variety developed in Germany several years ago. Many gardeners consider it to be truly unique. This variety gives a rich harvest, the taste of which is at the highest level.
Characteristics and description of the variety
- The tubers are round-oval with a smooth yellowish skin. Average weight - 80 g, maximum - 130 g. Small eyes.
- Pulp granular, light yellow... Starch content - 12%.
- A medium-sized bush of the Karatop variety with small leaves. Corollas are white. You can collect 23 tubers from one bush.
- Variety drought tolerant... With a lack of moisture, the quantity and quality of the crop is greatly reduced.
- Karatop tolerates long-term storage well. Its keeping quality according to the description is not less than 97%.
Features of the
The variety is considered early maturing. The vegetative period of potatoes is no more than 65 days... You can start harvesting on the 50th day.
This variety is not picky about soils. However, if the ground is heavy, then additional feeding and more careful maintenance is required.
Growing and care
How to choose potatoes for planting
It is enough for gardeners to adhere to the following criteria for choosing planting material:
- Choose tubers that have many small eyes... It is this planting material that is able to give more shoots.
- It is important to ensure that the tubers are not affected by infectious and fungal diseases.
- The tubers should be medium in size (60 to 80 g).
How to germinate seed
- Wet soil is poured into the bottom of the shallow box in a layer of 2-3 cm. Its temperature should be at least 15 degrees.
- Selected potatoes for germination must spread out eyes up, and cover the top with a layer of earth to the same height. This process is repeated until the box is completely full. However, it is important that there are no more than three layers of potatoes.
- Box needed put into the light... The optimum temperature for such germination is 16 degrees. The average germination period is 12-14 days.
- Sprouted potatoes are sorted into a separate container, and the rest is brought to the desired condition.
Such germination of tubers will be even more effective when they are moistened with a solution of copper sulfate (1 g of substance is enough for 5 liters of water).
Step-by-step process of planting the Karatop variety
Potatoes are planted in two stages:
- Dug out special trenches, the depth of which depends on the type of soil (on light soils - 10 cm; on clayey - 5 cm; on loam and heavy - 8 cm). The distance between the trenches must be at least 60 cm.
- Tubers are laid out in these trenches every 35 cm... Top covered with a layer of earth.
Between the beds it is necessary regular loosening of the earth... This process will protect the roots from weeds, conserve moisture and keep the soil in a “light” state. The first loosening is carried out 5 days after planting. The time for subsequent loosening depends on the condition of the soil and weather.
This is an excellent way to protect young sprouts from the influence of negative factors, including sudden frosts in spring. Sprinkle seedlings with peat crumb by 4 cm.
If the potato still suffered from frost, then you need to feed it with nitrogen fertilizers.
Karatop is necessary moisturize thoroughly once a week... In total, about 5 waterings will turn out before the first flowers appear. Simultaneously with watering, the potatoes are fertilized.
At the beginning of the growing season and before flowering, early potatoes need a lot phosphorus.
As soon as the plant has flowers, the need for phosphorus decreases. During this period, potatoes need potassium, as it will improve the characteristics of the crop.
The ideal place to store potatoes is in a dark, dry and cool space. These characteristics are suitable:
- special pit;
- container on the balcony.
Selected location should not freeze in winter and keep high humidity. The normal temperature for storing Karatop potatoes is in the range of 2 to 4 degrees.
Diseases and pests
Karatop is weakly resistant to a fungal disease called phytophrosis... Mycelium plaque forms on the lower part of the plant, and the leaves are covered with burgundy spots. The infected one quickly begins to die.
For the prevention of phytophrosis, it is necessary to soak the tubers of the planting potatoes in the onion broth for 7-9 hours.
If signs of phytophrosis are detected, the plant must be sprayed with copper sulfate (5 g of vitriol per 5 liters of water).
- Wireworm... This pest gnaws at the tubers and roots of potatoes. As a result, the tubers begin to rot and the potato bush withers. To prevent the appearance of the pest, every autumn they dig up the ground, adding ammonium sulfate to it (300 g of substance per 10 square meters).
- Colorado beetle... This pest is a disaster for any potato field. Methods of dealing with it are very diverse. Chemicals Karate and Fastak are considered highly effective. They are sprayed with potatoes and soon the beetles die.
Taste and use
The taste of Karatop potatoes is evaluated by professionals in 9.4 points on a ten-point scale... It is easy to cut and boils well during heat treatment. Often used to make mashed potatoes and chips.
The variety is considered a dining variety and is intended for home cooking, but it is often used by enterprises - on an industrial scale.
Karatop potatoes can be used for a variety of purposes. With all the advantages, it has only one drawback: demanding watering... Therefore, if you are thinking about which variety of potatoes to plant, then Karatop will be one of the best options.
Potato variety "Karatop": description, photo, characteristics, advantages and disadvantages Russian farmer
- The history of the origin of the potato variety "Karatop"
- Potato variety "Karatop" description, characteristics
- Planting and caring for Karatop potatoes
- Selection and preparation of the landing site
- Preparation of planting material
- Landing rules
- Watering and feeding
- Loosening and weeding
- Diseases and pests
- Tips from experienced gardeners and reviews of the Karatop variety
Karatop potato variety. Potato variety "Karatop" description, characteristics
|general characteristics||early, very productive variety with small tubers, not afraid of transportation, resistant to mechanical damage|
|Ripening period||40-55 days|
|Mass of marketable tubers||60-100 gr|
|The number of tubers in the bush||16-25|
|Yield||up to 500 c / ha|
|Consumer qualities||good taste, not soft, suitable for chips and purees|
|Pulp color||light yellow|
|Preferred growing regions||North-West, Middle Volga, Ural, middle zone of Russia|
|Disease resistance||weakly resistant to late blight|
|Growing features||can be grown under film, is not afraid of difficult soils, loves watering|
|Originator||NORIKA NORDRING KARTOFFELZUCHT UND VERMEHRUNGS GMBH (Germany)|
Bred by breeders in Germany, it was included in the Russian State Register of Breeding Achievements in 2000 (for the North-West and Middle Volga regions). Refers to a class of potatoes, the crop can be harvested as early as 50 days after planting.
Karatop boasts a very high yield: 18.5 - 27 t / ha in the Middle Volga region, 20 - 43.5 t / ha in the North-West region. The maximum yield is at around 50 t / ha.
The shape of the tubers in Karatop is oval-round with a slight tendency towards sphericity. They have a pleasant marketable appearance with a soft yellow skin color and a light yellow pulp. The surface of the fruit is usually flat and smooth, so potatoes are excellent for mechanical peeling.
The eyes are small, with a superficial level of occurrence. The starch content is at the level of 10.5 - 15%. Marketable weight of one tuber is about 58 - 100 g. Potatoes of this variety have good taste, impressive keeping quality and marketability of 72 - 93%.
Medium early potato varieties
This group includes varieties with an average ripening period of 75 - 85 days. In this category, gardeners prefer varieties such as Gala, Nevsky, Charodey and Adretta.
Productivity of marketable tubers: 400 kg / weave.
Bush morphology: medium-sized with large leaves, single white flowers.
Tubers: round, with small, shallow eyes and a yellow veined skin, bright yellow flesh, average weight 70 - 120 g, 25 pcs in a bush.
Taste: good, low starch content, remains firm when cooked, suitable for salads and soups.
Cultivation areas: zoned for the North-West, Central and Volga-Vyatka regions, universal for cultivation in other regions of Russia.
Features of the: resistant to nematodes and specific diseases.
disadvantages: susceptibility to rhizoctonia.
Growing recommendations: the variety emerges evenly, the bushes form compact, which is convenient when leaving (weeding, hilling). Ideal for mechanized harvesting. A very unpretentious variety, gives excellent yields when cultivated on dry land. To increase the shelf life, it is recommended to mow the tops 2 weeks before harvesting, which will allow the tubers to ripen and stock up on nutrients.
Productivity of marketable tubers: 380 - 500 kg / are, maximum - over 600 kg / are, stable.
Bush morphology: medium-sized, lush, white flowers.
Tubers: smooth oval with reddish eyes on a smooth white peel, white pulp, average weight 90 - 130 g, in a bush 8 - 15 pcs.
Taste: good, the starch content is below average, the peeled tubers do not darken for a long time, they do not boil during cooking.
Cultivation areas: zoned in all regions of Russia.
Features of the: high marketability, good keeping quality, drought-resistant, resistant to cancer, late blight and rhizoctonia.
disadvantages: does not tolerate cold snaps during planting and harvesting, early germination of tubers.
Growing recommendations: when planting sprouted tubers, do not break off the sprouts. The variety is responsive to fertilization and watering, therefore it is suitable for intensive cultivation. It is not recommended to plant in unheated waterlogged soil.
Productivity of marketable tubers: strongly depends on the region of cultivation and ranges from 174 to 370 kg / are, maximum - 420 kg / are.
Bush morphology: erect with light green leaves, white flowers.
Tubers: oval with small inconspicuous eyes on a smooth yellow skin, white flesh, average weight 73 - 116 g, the number of tubers is not constant on different soils.
Taste: good, sweetish tubers are easy to peel, do not darken during cooking, but become slightly crumbly ideal for mashing.
Cultivation areas: zoned in the Northern, Northwestern, Volgo-Vyatka, Central Black Earth, North Caucasian and Middle Volga regions of Russia.
Features of the: high marketability, high keeping quality, drought-resistant, resistant to cancer, medium resistance to late blight.
disadvantages: susceptibility to nematode.
Growing recommendations: mandatory prophylactic treatments against pests, rare planting scheme.
Productivity of marketable tubers: 214 - 396 kg / are, maximum - 450 kg / are.
Bush morphology: erect, vigorous, white flowers.
Tubers: rounded-oval with small and sparse eyes on a rough yellow peel, light yellow flesh, average weight 130 g.
Taste: medium, when boiled, tubers with a high starch content are boiled, suitable for mashed potatoes.
Cultivation areas: zoned in the Volga region, Western Siberia and the Far East.
Features of the: high marketability, good keeping quality, high resistance to viral diseases, early formation of tubers.
disadvantages: were not marked.
Growing recommendations: an unpretentious cultivar in cultivation, but does not tolerate a lack of moisture in the soil and irregular watering.
How to germinate seed?
To get a good harvest, this variety must be germinated before planting in the ground.
To do this, use soil, planting material and a shallow box.
- Damp soil should be poured into the bottom of the box by 2-3 cm. It is important that the temperature of the soil is not less than 15C.
- The potatoes are laid out with their eyes upwards, the soil is covered with a layer of 2-3 cm on top. There can be no more than three layers in one box.
Next, the filled box must be placed in the light. The temperature should be left the same.
- On average, it is necessary to germinate tubers for 12-14 days.
- The sprouted material is sorted and planted. Potatoes that have not sprouted are brought to the required condition.
- Copper sulfate can be used to increase the effectiveness of germination. Proportion: 1 gram of substance per 5 liters of water.
Let's consider early potato varieties using the example of one of the earliest potato varieties - Riviera, which is successfully grown in Ukraine.
The Riviera is an early maturing potato of Dutch origin. Ripening occurs after 40 days, the emergence of the plant.
Riviera potatoes have round-oval tubers, light yellow. The average starch values are 12.6-15.7%, the pulp is also light yellow. The eyes are barely visible. Not particularly sensitive to metribuzin. The skin of the potato is slightly rough.
The Riviera potato variety has established itself as a highly productive product, even in hot and dry periods. Potato diseases, such as late blight, practically do not have time to affect this variety, due to its early ripening. The Riviera can be easily grown in the warm southern and eastern regions of Ukraine, thanks to its powerful root system, which promotes better moisture transmission throughout the plant and a tall bush that protects the aisles from drying out, in the conditions of the southern regions of Ukraine, two harvests are possible.
Preparing and planting potatoes
Early germination of tubers makes it possible to get an earlier harvest of potatoes. Potatoes must be selected so that they are not frozen and undamaged, with developed sprouts. The shape of the potato is important; a weight of 30-70g allows for early blooming and faster growth. Whereas, large potatoes can degrade the yield by up to 60% or more.
There are several ways to prepare before landing. The easiest way is to place potatoes in a bright and warm room for 5-15 days at a temperature of 12-15 ºC. A more perfect method is to increase the term of placement to 30-60 days, which contributes to better growth of shoots with root tubercles - the rudiments of the root system. During this period, you need to turn the potatoes several times for better light penetration. The best soils for an early potato variety are soils of light texture. It is necessary to select areas of soil that warm well and get rid of snow and water before everyone else. The plot of land must be well protected from cold winds. For a better crop quality, you can use an increased amount of nitrogen. Potatoes are planted at a distance of 32 cm, sprouts up, the planting depth should be less than for the usual variety. The recommended depth is only 5-6 cm.
Bottom line: using the Riviera potato variety, you will always be provided with early potatoes by the end of May - early June, even in the northern regions of the country.