Kesha grapes are a fifth generation hybrid bred by domestic breeders. The variety is popular among both experienced gardeners and amateurs. Kesha has advantages and disadvantages compared to other grape varieties, including hybrids derived from it (Kesha-1 and Kesha-2).
Description of the Kesha grape variety
As usual, let's start with a description of the variety. Kesha is an early ripening table grape (130 days). Shoots ripen early and abundantly (65-80% of the total mass). Cuttings root well. Bushes are strong, vigorous, fruitful. The comb is large, the shape of the clusters is conical-cylindrical. The average weight of the bunches is 900 g.
The berries are large (11-15 g) and dense, oval in shape. When fully ripe, the color changes from white to amber green. The taste is sugar (sugar content of the fruit is 20-24%). There are few seeds in the berries, from one to three pieces. Fruits do not burst, retain their excellent presentation. The variety has high transportability.
Kesha is resistant to mildew, the most dangerous disease of European grape varieties. Frost-resistant (up to -23С), but it does not endure winter well.
His follower Kesha-1 is more resistant to cold and disease than Kesha. But Kesha-1 has female flowers. And Kesha's flowers are self-pollinated, which explains its high yield. In addition, Kesha's taste is higher than that of his followers (8 out of 10 according to the tasting rating).
This variety is used to make white wine. They decorate the festive table, and the berries are eaten, both from the bush and chilled.
Landing in the ground
Before buying, the seedlings are examined. Healthy seedlings, those that:
- no damage to the roots
- with uniform color
- and green flesh on the cut
After purchase, they cannot be left without water for a long time, otherwise they will dry out.
Saplings are planted in spring or fall. It depends on the climatic zone. It is important that the air warms up to 15˚С. The day before planting, the seedlings are soaked in a growth stimulant solution. The soil is chosen fertile and loose. Black soil is best suited. The grapes wither quickly in the shade. The place in the garden where it grows should be sunny.
The landing site is prepared in advance. To do this, pits are made in the soil, on the bottom of which rotted humus is placed. The distance between the pits is 1.5 m. The seedlings are buried so that the root collar is 5 cm above the ground. After planting, the plants are tied to vertical supports and watered abundantly.
Rootstock grafted onto an old bush
Kesha can be easily grafted onto the stem of an old plant. Before grafting, the edge of the cuttings is cut off and immersed in a nutrient solution with top dressing (for example, with Humate).
The stem is prepared: thoroughly cleaned, and then split or cut with a knife. Cuttings are inserted into the split and tied with a cloth. Several cuttings are grafted onto large stems. After grafting, the plants are tied up and watered abundantly.
The grapes need abundant watering:
- in early spring
- when it blooms
- after flowering
In dry summers, plants are watered more often. It is important not to flood the grapes, because this is fraught with the development of fungal diseases and the death of plantings. To avoid overflow, gardeners make a drainage system near the vineyard to drain water.
In addition, the plants are mulched. Rotten manure or peat is suitable for mulch. A layer of mulch for grapes - 3 cm. This is enough to protect the soil from freezing and retain the necessary moisture in it.
The variety is fertilized several times per season (first in spring) with organic fertilizers or fertilizers with phosphorus and potassium. Fertilizers with nitrogen for grapes are not desirable. Their excess will reduce the quality of the crop, but will increase the amount of green mass.
In the fall, grape shoots are pruned. The bush should not grow, it is made compact. Excess, damaged and dried stems are destroyed, but before that they are examined for the presence of diseases and pests.
To prevent the vine from depleting, one ovary is left on one shoot, the largest. This will save the bush from the load, because Kesha bears fruit abundantly and will help the ovary to ripen and fill with juice. If the crown is too elongated, then pinch it to help the berries ripen.
In the first year, caring for Kesha comes down to:
- disease prevention
- loosening and mulching the soil
The first harvest from Kesha is harvested in 5 years. If you plant seedlings on an old stem, then the waiting time will be reduced. With proper care, the variety is capable of bearing fruit every year.
For the winter, the ground under the grapes is covered with straw, and the shoots are bent to the ground and covered with foil.
Diseases and pests
It is important to inspect the plants in the fall. With cold weather, diseases slow down development, and pests are looking for a place for wintering. And in the spring, instead of flowering shoots, there is a risk of getting infected.
It is a fungus that attacks the green mass of plants. It spreads very quickly. Its sign is a yellowish lumpy bloom on the leaves. The fungus is fought with a solution of ferrous sulfate (300 g per bucket of water). In addition to him, fungicides will help in the fight against the fungus: Mikal and Strobi.
The treatment of plants is carried out on a windless day, in protective equipment for the respiratory tract and eyes. It is important to ensure that the drugs do not come into contact with the skin.
A fungus that spreads quickly in damp conditions. It develops in dark and poorly ventilated areas. It affects all parts of plants. Its distinctive feature is brown dots with a gray coating. Affected areas and fallen parts of plants are removed from the garden and destroyed. Active spores of the fungus remain in them.
To prevent the development of gray mold, plants are sprayed with Folpan solution, a contact fungicide. And for infected plants, Topsin M and Rorval Flo preparations are suitable.
They are easy to spot by looking at the inside of the sheet.
- Brown spots covered with down is a sign of a felt mite.
- Light spots with a yellow coating leaves behind a grape spider mite.
- Yellow spots around the holes in the leaves indicate the presence of a leaf mite.
In case of mass infection with ticks, gardeners use insecticides: Aktara and Vermitic. It is important to observe safety precautions when working with them, as they are toxic to humans. A less aggressive pest control agent is Karbofos, as well as decoctions and infusions of wormwood, tobacco and potato tops.
In order for the grape bush to grow healthy, it is important to follow the simple rules of agricultural technology:
- Plant seedlings in an open and sunny area without shade.
- Thinning plants, getting rid of unnecessary greenery.
- Water is needed for a bountiful harvest, but too much water will destroy the grapes.
- Be careful with pest control. Once inside the fruit, harmful substances will change their taste and reduce their usefulness.
- Apply top dressing as needed, their excess stimulates the growth of green mass, and not ovaries.
Kesha grapes do not require special attention. On the contrary, in caring for him, it is important to remember the measure, and take measures in a timely manner. Only then will the expectations pay off with tasty and healthy berries that will delight you and your loved ones.
This variety of white table grapes has the following characteristics:
- The berries have a subtle delicate floral scent, which is unusual for spice.
- The size of the berries is different - among large specimens (up to 3 cm in diameter) there are small peas.
- Fleshy berries with two or three large seeds, medium juiciness, moderately sweet with a slight sourness. The color of the berries is white with a characteristic bloom. The shape is round or oval.
- The bunches have a cylindrical, conical, sometimes indefinite shape. The brushes are formed on a long stem and weigh at least 600 g, the maximum can reach 1.5 kg.
Description of the Kesha grape variety
Kesha is the result of crossing two varieties:
- Frumoasa Albe. White beauty. Differs in high and stable productivity. The berries do not crack.
- Delight. High-yielding, early variety. Transportable and can be kept fresh for a long time.
Kesha belongs to medium early varieties. Demanding on heat and moisture. Therefore, it is common in the southern regions of the country, the Black Sea region. It has a very large, loose bunch with oblong greenish-yellow berries. The pulp is firm, slightly crispy, covered with a dense skin, which is very good for transportation. Juice in the phase of ripeness of grapes has a high percentage of sugar content.
There are two hybrids of grapes Talisman and Tamerlane (Muscat Kesha).
For a young plant in the first year of life, proper watering is enough, prophylaxis against pests and caring for the bush by giving the future vine a foundation. And the next year, the bush needs to be paid more attention:
- From spring to autumn, extra shoots are cut off to form a beautiful bush.
- The bush should be poured twice: after winter, before buds appear and after flowering. In this case, 15 liters of water must be poured into the hole. In dry summers, additional watering of the grapes should be done.
- It is enough to fertilize the bush once a year using phosphorus-potassium fertilizers.
- 1-2 clusters should be left on one shoot, and the rest should be removed, otherwise the vine will be severely depleted and will not be able to ensure the ripening of all berries.
The Kesha bush is capable of withstanding the cold and survives the winter well, but it should not be allowed to cover the shoots with a crust of ice. The ice will destroy the shoots, so the growers take a number of measures to preserve the bushes in winter:
- In the fall, after harvesting, the shoots should be pruned, which will reduce the load on the bush and the next year will help the crown to form correctly
- The branches must be removed from the supports and bent to the ground, securing with wire
- In November, the branches are covered with foliage or dry branches and covered with a film that is securely fixed.
It is recommended to water the new gardens using at least thirty liters of water, but this does not matter if it rained the day before and moistened the soil.
In order not to carry buckets, you need to bring drip irrigation.
- To insulate the cutting, you can use a bucket without a bottom or build a wooden cylinder around the process.
- It is recommended to prune in two cases - in the fall or in the spring. At the same time, autumn pruning is carried out only after leaf fall, when most of the functions of the grapes have already retired. Spring pruningheld in early spring - before the awakening of the plant begins, that is, the movement of the juice along the stems has not begun. If you shorten the culture later, wounds form at the site of the cuts that do not heal for a long time - you can provoke a weakening of the bush and subsequent drying out.
Characteristics of the base grade
In order to appreciate the flavor data that this variety fully possesses, you must try it at least once. But to some extent, the following characteristics will help to get an impression of the qualities of grapes:
- "Kesha" bears fruit early enough, the ripening period is about 130 days.
- The weight of a bunch can be up to 1.2 kg, it has a conical or irregular shape with a dense structure, which sometimes affects the shape of the berries - they press against each other and lose their roundness, becoming angular. On the shoot, usually 1-3 clusters are formed.
- The berries of the plant are very large, about 3 x 2.5 cm, weigh up to 15 grams, have an oval shape, light green skin with a yellow tint and dense, fleshy greenish-creamy flesh. There are no more than 2-3 seeds in the berry, which makes Keshu an excellent table variety, ideal for the role of a healthy and tasty dessert.
- Grape berries have a harmonious taste with a fairly high sugar content - up to 24%, acids about 4 - 7 g / l. Sugar content, like other varieties, depends on the weather and growing conditions.
- The plant is vigorous, strong, able to withstand frosts up to 23 degrees below zero. Since the bush is already tall, it makes no sense, and it is harmful, to get carried away with fertilizing with nitrogen fertilizers - you can weaken the plant, which will become worse to bear fruit.
- The Kesha variety and its varieties have an average level of resistance to various diseases, but it resists mildew well, therefore it can be recommended for planting in those areas where this disease destroys other varieties that are sensitive to it.
- The beauty of the plant, especially at a time when the bush is abundantly hung with heavy poured bunches, can be evidenced by photos and videos, which are published with pleasure by the owners of a wonderful variety.
Kesha is able to satisfy the most stringent requirements for table grape varieties. Already one simple description makes it clear how profitable it is to plant this grateful and productive plant on your site. Even a few bushes on a very small piece of land can satisfy the demand of a small family for a table white grape variety.
Thanks to the long and strong shoots, Kesha and related varieties can be successfully grown in various forms - put on a trellis, organize a beautiful shady arch from it in front of the entrance, make a pergola or a spectacular gazebo. In summer, in such a place it will always be cool and shady due to large carved leaves and dense greenery, and in autumn you can enjoy both the beauty and the pleasant taste of luxurious grape bunches hanging from the shoots.
Features of agricultural technology
Kesha grapes do not require any superconditions for the normal development of plants, it is enough to adhere to the general requirements for planting and caring for this crop. He loves the sun, so you should choose an open place. Like most varieties, it is picky about the land - try to plant it in fertile soil (or pre-fertilized). Abundant watering is carried out in early spring, until the buds begin to bloom, the next after flowering (approximately this is the end of May - early June). If there is a drought, it is worth watering additionally. In addition to moisture, you also need top dressing. As a rule, potassium-phosphorus fertilizers are applied, very little nitrogen fertilizers are added, since an overdose of them can adversely affect the yield. Also, experienced gardeners recommend doing preventive treatments twice a year. Also, do not forget to shape the crown - the vines are directed in length or around the base. Before the process of juice movement begins in the plants, you need to prune.
Perhaps at first you will be at a loss which of the described Kesha grapes to give preference to, because according to the description, all are good, but perhaps you should try all three, and then, based on personal experience, choose what you like.
Video "Kesha grape variety"
In this video - a short but capacious characteristic of the white grapes of the Kesha variety: the growing season, frost resistance, yield, etc.