As a rule, gardeners often turn to cabbage species that are well-established in our area. However, they forget about exotic varieties that are surprisingly easy to grow and equally beneficial. Let's take a closer look at these types.
Chinese cabbage pak choy
This cabbage contains substances such as magnesium, potassium, phosphorus and iron. To the great joy of summer residents, this cabbage can grow successfully in our climate. You won't have to suffer with leaving: it resists diseases well.
It needs to be planted in March or August, since it will not be able to withstand the extreme heat. Within a month after sowing, you can cut off the leaves, which is a significant plus.
Romanesco cabbage or roman cabbage
At first glance, Romanesco may be puzzling with its bright appearance, but this does not affect its taste in any way. Depending on the place of residence, the method without seedlings is used if the climate is warm, and vice versa. They plant her in May, when it is no longer cold outside.
A soil with low acidity is suitable for it. Care does not differ from any other types: watering, weeding, feeding. Various pests can pretend to cabbage, so it should be protected by any means.
Unpretentious Mizuna Cabbage
This species is so unpretentious that it can grow even in apartment conditions. There are several varieties that affect the color. So, it can be red or green. Mizuna gives abundant harvests.
Having cut off the leaves, new ones will not be long in coming. You can take the leaves for testing after a month and a half. To maintain its vital activity, regular watering is necessary.
Other names for it are "Grunkol" or "Kale". This species is able to reach one and a half meters in height, pleasing the eye with its singularity. It's easy to grow cabbage.
All that needs to be done on an ongoing basis is watering and feeding. Unlike other species, it perfectly tolerates cold and does not lose its taste.
Savoy cabbage varieties
Savoy cabbage impresses with its originality. It is not as fruitful as other species, but it has a number of positive aspects. Firstly, it is tasty and even more useful than, for example, the usual white cabbage.
Secondly, a ripe head of cabbage can weigh up to 3 kg. Thirdly, she is not afraid of cold times. It must be grown using seedlings, and the soil must be fertile.
All of the above types can be used both separately and in combination with salads. They can be fried, stewed, boiled and canned - there are many ways, and all of them are only beneficial.
Rate the article:
(19 votes, average: 4.4 out of 5)
Share with your friends!
- The cultivation of most crops starts with sowing them. In the case of Brussels sprouts, nothing changes. The most favorable time for this is the beginning or the middle of March. And, of course, work with seedlings will be carried out at home. Strengthened seedlings are planted in open ground no earlier than May. In regions with early spring, you can transfer the seedlings to a greenhouse or greenhouse already in early April. Interestingly, there should be little in the last light, while an adult plant likes abundant sun.
- The soil composition for seedlings of Brussels sprouts is identical to that for white cabbage. This is either turf with peat in the same proportion, or turf with humus and peat (2: 1: 2). Organic containers are recommended for planting. Usually these are cups of peat pressed with humus. When transplanting, seedlings will have to be removed from them, and the container will serve as an additional source of valuable substances.
- Experienced gardeners recommend purchasing not cups, but peat-distilled tablets covered with a synthetic mesh. With them, the technique is slightly modified: the seed is laid deep into the tablet, after which it gains strength in it until the root system begins to look out. Only after that, the tablet moves into a container with earth, where the seedling will grow until the day of planting in open ground.
- If the containers for planting are not taken separately, but a large box is used, it is required to maintain a distance between the rows of 7-8 cm.In addition, a free zone of 4 cm is required from seed to seed, deepening occurs by 1 cm.It is advised to germinate under film or glass to speed up this process and create a natural greenhouse. Cups or drawers are removed into the shade, into the warmth.
- During the entire period necessary for the emergence of sprouts and the gain of strength by the root system, it is important to remember 2 things: airing and watering. For this, glass is removed daily, condensation is removed, and the soil, if necessary, is moistened. In addition, seedlings need to be fed. For the first time, such a process is carried out when the 2nd true leaf hatches, and after that - after 1.5 weeks. First, 1 g of potassium-rich fertilizers and superphosphate, as well as 2 g of urea, are taken for 1 liter of water. Then for the same volume of water - the amount of feeding is 2 times more.
Mid-season white cabbage
The growing season for this cabbage is 80-170 days. The finished crop is harvested towards the end of summer. The heads of mid-maturing cabbage are larger than those of early-maturing ones, and have an average density. Types of mid-ripening vegetables are more productive than early ones, but inferior to varieties of late ripening. These varieties of cabbage are characterized by the presence of 20-25 small leaves.
Unlike its predecessors, mid-season cabbage is better suited for quick fermentation in the autumn. But in its natural form, it is often used. Stuffed cabbage rolls, vegetable pies, stews and pies are especially tasty. Another advantage over early vegetable is the longer shelf life. Subject to all conditions, it can lie well for a couple of months.
A popular hybrid among gardeners, due to its high yield, which reaches 343-626 c / ha. The maximum yield was recorded in the Volgograd region - 895 c / ha. Cabbage ripens about three months after planting. The plant loves water and light. Very resistant to many common diseases and pests.
Contains an ideal set of minerals and vitamins, has a good taste and good keeping quality. Suitable for first and second courses, for fermentation.
A time-tested old variety of cabbage. Her forks are large, juicy, white. Unlike other varieties, "Slava" is well suited for growing in dry regions, because it is unpretentious to moisture. Watering it strongly is not worth it, since the heads of cabbage can burst. Needs abundant loosening. Productivity - 320-400 kg / ha.
To make the cabbage juicy, it is harvested after the first frost. But you should not delay with this, as it is prone to cracking. Easily tolerates sub-zero temperatures. Slava cabbage is sensitive to diseases such as powdery mildew, keela, black leg. It is included in the list of the best species for harvesting for the winter, fermentation, salting. The maturation of this type of cabbage reaches only 90 days.
For storage, choose a medium-sized cabbage, more dense. Do not mix different varieties. Leave 2-3 top leaves and up to 4 cm of stumps. Cracked heads of cabbage cannot be stored.
The best varieties of white cabbage:
- Malachite. It is the earliest variety of white cabbage. Has small heads. The weight of one of them does not exceed two kilograms. Very juicy and spreading cabbage. The structure is moderately dense. The head of cabbage is hard. Grows well in temperate and warm climates. Loves frequent watering. Growing fast. If planted in a greenhouse, the growing season can be reduced to 5 days.
- Taurus F1. A popular early variety of white cabbage. Summer residents are very fond of growing it in their garden, since the fruits in a short period of time and subject to all the rules and principles of cultivation, reaches a weight of about 6 kg. Among the advantageous properties, it should be noted resistance to many diseases and pests. The growing season lasts up to 100 days. The Taurus F1 cabbage variety can be grown in temperate climates.
- Dobrovolskaya. One of the most productive, juicy and sweet varieties. The weight of one head can reach a record 8 kg. On average, fruits are harvested weighing 5 kg. Belongs to the category of mid-season varieties of white cabbage. Mid-season cabbage is used for food and is intended for the preparation of many dishes. It is grown for sale by agricultural enterprises. Many varieties have good keeping properties. The uniqueness of the variety is that it is endowed with natural properties of protection against many diseases and pests. Thanks to this, the summer resident can count on high yields. The shelf life of Dobrovolskaya cabbage is almost six months (up to 5 months).
- Present. The vegetable is very tasty, juicy and nutritious, has a spicy zest. It is easy to recognize among other varieties, since the surface of the green leaves has a slight waxy coating. The weight of one fruit does not exceed 4 kg. The advantage of the Gift variety is that it lends itself well to transportation without losing its shape. It is widely used for pickling and fermentation for the winter. Many are positioned as the best variety of medium-ripening white cabbage.
- Krautman F1. A hybrid variety, which has a dense fruit structure, weighing up to 5 kg., Has a small stump. Heads of cabbage do not crack even under abrupt changes in weather conditions. Delicious, pleasant vegetable is great for complex salting, preservation and fermentation. It is one of the kilo-resistant varieties of white cabbage.
- Geneva. Excellent late-ripening variety, ripening period - up to 140 days. One of the earliest among the late varieties. It has many advantages (good keeping quality, is not damaged during growth, has a dense structure, is transportable). Can be stored until a new harvest.
- Moscow late. Description of the Moscow late white cabbage variety will allow every summer resident to understand why it is one of the best. It is only necessary to announce the parameters of its heads of cabbage - they can reach a weight of 8-10 kg. The rosette at the head is large and rather spreading. The fruit has a rounded flat shape. It is resistant to many diseases, especially keel. A relatively frost-resistant variety that can withstand temperatures below freezing up to 5 ° C. It can be stored well until the next harvest. Heads of cabbage are dense, therefore they are easy to transport. This is the best late variety of white cabbage. The best regional varieties of white cabbage
According to the experience of summer residents and the recommendations of breeders, varieties and hybrids of white cabbage must be selected for climatic zones. They are endowed with excellent properties that allow them to withstand certain conditions and bear fruit well in certain regions. Based on this, the best varieties of white cabbage for the Moscow region are:
- Early ripening - Dumas F1, Baroque F1.
- Early - Transfer F1, Zarya.
- Medium - Menza F1, Gift.
- Late - Creumont F1, Amager.
The best varieties of white cabbage for Siberia and the Urals:
- Early - July, Zarya.
- Medium - Jubilee F1, Glory 1305.
- Late - Creumont F1, Geneva F1.
The best varieties of white cabbage for Ukraine:
- Early - Super Kazachok F1, Overture F1, Hermes F1.
- Medium - Adema F1, Taras F1, Calibro F
- Late - Moscow late, Brigadier F1, Adapter F1.
Most summer residents choose hybrid varieties. The great demand for such varieties of white cabbage (seeds and seedlings) is explained by high yields and fruit quality. It should be noted that Ukrainian breeding enterprises are not particularly active, so gardeners prefer Belarusian, Russian and Dutch varieties of white cabbage.
Why is it important to respect regional distribution when choosing a variety? Zoning allows the summer resident to best choose a suitable variety of cabbage for growing in his region, in accordance with climatic conditions and a number of factors (soil, humidity, the presence of cold weather).
Regional distribution does not mean that it is impossible to grow varieties for the Moscow region in the Ukrainian regions, or the Ural varieties - in the Moscow region. The zoning of varieties directly affects the yield. Simply, the summer resident will receive a smaller harvest. Sometimes you can not wait for the normal development of the plant. In this case, it is necessary to create appropriate conditions in greenhouses and stationary greenhouses.