It is quite difficult to build or purchase a stationary expensive greenhouse, but it is quite possible to build an inexpensive greenhouse from PVC pipes with your own hands. Let's see how this can be done so that you can plant early seedlings in your garden.
Greenhouse made of PVC pipes: its advantages and disadvantages
The design of a greenhouse made of PVC pipes is quite simple and consists of a foundation, PVC pipes, fasteners and special connecting elements, as well as a certain coating.
This greenhouse has many advantages:
- Does not require special skills and qualifications for its installation, as well as complex equipment and expensive tools;
- It has a high level of strength and can even stand for two or three years without dismantling;
- If necessary, the greenhouse can be removed in one day;
- It is not subject to the decomposition process and perfectly tolerates high levels of humidity, unlike greenhouses from old window frames.
Disadvantages of a greenhouse:
- Short service life of the polyethylene film coating;
- Low level of polyethylene thermal insulation.
But these problems can be easily solved with cellular polycarbonate, but this is a more expensive coating.
Attention! In regions where there is frequent precipitation, which falls in the form of a thick and dense snow cover, there is a high risk that the PVC pipe greenhouse can collapse under the mass of sleet. Therefore, when carrying out calculations, it is necessary to lay a large margin of safety.
Fully assembled PVC pipe greenhouse
Preparation for construction: drawings, dimensions
Before you start to put a greenhouse, you need to choose the most convenient place for it, level it and make sure that the soil does not sag under the weight of the greenhouse.
If you use a polyethylene film to cover the frame, then the dimensions can be taken arbitrary. We will consider an example with a size of 3.82x6.3 meters. Why exactly this size, you ask?
- You must remember that when you bend the pipe, you get the right arc;
- Bending a pipe 3.82 meters wide, you get ½ a circle (radius 1.91 meters);
- This will be the height of our greenhouse;
- If the width is less, then the height will also decrease, and then a person will not be able to enter it in full growth.
Drawing of the frame of the greenhouse made of PVC pipes
The length of the step between the pipes in the frame will be 900 mm, so with 8 sections we will have 7 spans. And if we multiply 7 spans by 900 mm, we get the length of the greenhouse 6.3 meters.
greenhouse frame drawing indicating the length of the span
Other sizes can be taken depending on how large the greenhouse you want to build, but remember that the larger the structure, the less stable and durable it is.
Choosing PVC: Tips
Pipes and other materials can be purchased at the store. But when choosing PVC pipes, you must choose very carefully, since they can differ greatly in their quality. You shouldn't buy cheap low quality pipes.
Since the frame is built from engineering PVC pipes, it is recommended to take the material that is used to supply hot water and is easily connected to plastic crosses. Wall thickness 4.2 mm, inner diameter 16.6 mm, outer diameter 25 mm.
The pipe connection elements must be taken from high-quality thermosetting plastic (wall thickness 3 mm).
Since the entire frame of the greenhouse is, as it were, "put on" on special pins driven into the ground, they must be selected in accordance with the diameter of the pipe itself, so that it fits tightly on such a pin and does not "dangle" on it. This will ensure the strength and stability of the entire structure, and there will be no need for additional fastening.
Their length should not be less than 0.5 meters, and we recommend going deep into the ground by at least 15 centimeters.
Material calculation and required tools
For the device of a greenhouse made of polyvinyl chloride pipes, it is necessary to have a certain amount of material and some tools.
- PVC pipes (Ø25 mm) - 10 pieces;
- Cross and tees (Ø 25 mm);
- Special oblique tees;
- Packing screws and nails;
- Thin iron strip;
- Iron rod;
- Board (size 50x100 mm);
- Hammer and hacksaw for metal;
- Screwdriver (or Phillips screwdriver);
- Welding iron for pipes;
- Building level and tape measure.
DIY step-by-step instructions for building a greenhouse
- We collect the frame of our greenhouse from the board. To do this, before installation, the wooden board must be well impregnated with an antibacterial substance. We install the base on the selected area, observing all geometric shapes. To do this, it is necessary to cut out four rods 50 centimeters long from an iron rod and drive them into the four corners of the base from the inside, adhering to the diagonal exactly.
The device of a wooden base for the future frame
- We install a special mount for installing the frame arcs. To do this, you need to cut 14 identical pieces of reinforcement 70 cm long. Further, along the entire length of the base with a marker, we make markings at intervals of 900 mm. Then, along the broken marks from the outside, we firmly drive in the reinforcement about 40 centimeters. It is necessary to drive in clearly end-to-end to the wooden base. Next, you need to make a markup along the width of the base and to do this, divide the frame into two equal parts. Then, stepping back 40 cm from both sides, make marks. We also hammer the reinforcement according to the marks.
Arrangement of fittings for the frame of the greenhouse made of PVC pipes
- Making arcs. To do this, it is necessary to weld two pieces of pipe 3 meters each with a special welding "iron" so that they have a cross in the very middle. We made the inner arcs, and the outer ones are done a little differently. In the center, pipes are welded with straight tees.
Welding arcs with a cross
- Installation of arcs. To do this, they must be inserted into the pre-clogged fittings from one side and the other. PVC pipes bend without problems. Thus, we get the frame of the future greenhouse over the wooden base.
Installation of arches of PVC pipes
- Next, you need to install a special stiffener in the center of the structure. To do this, we accurately cut the pipe into pieces of 850 mm and then weld well between the tees and crosses. With these actions, we strengthen the strength of the frame. Then we fix it on a wooden base using a metal strip, a screwdriver and self-tapping screws.
- We make a door and a ventilation window. Since the construction is completed, it is necessary to decide where the door and window for ventilation will be located. Where we installed two rods in width, in this place the door will be located. To do this, measure a straight line up with a level and mark it with a marker on the first pipe.
Ventilation door and window construction
- We marked two points on the same vertical with the reinforcement, and then we will cut the necessary oblique tees into this place. To do this, measure the distance from the bottom of the rod to the mark and, according to the data obtained, cut off the desired piece of pipe. We weld a special tee to it, so that we get a structural detail with a tee at the top. We join the bevel with the pipe.
- Now you need to cut the arc along the marked point, but very carefully, since it is under load. Then we weld the tee into the resulting space. But here you need the help of another person.
- After you have completely checked the frame for strength, you need to stretch a plastic wrap over it. We take regular nails and wooden slats. We nail the film well along the entire length, first from one side of the base, and then pull it well, throw it on the opposite side and also nail it on the other side.
We nail the plastic wrap to the wooden base of the greenhouse using nails and rails
- The door and ventilation window can also be easily made from the remains of a pipe. To do this, we make two square structures from a pipe, according to the dimensions that you made before. We weld pipes with an iron using corners. We also weld special latches to the door, which will hold the removable door. We also make a window.
Greenhouse door - blueprint
Some tips for masters
If you do not want to fix a cheap and low-quality film, then you can use more modern and durable films such as: lutrasil, agrospan, agrotex and others. Reinforced and special bubble wrap can also be an excellent option. The durable 11mm reinforced film can withstand high winds, sleet and hail.
Reinforced greenhouse film
The film is cut with a sharp knife. You should always cut a piece into a frame with a margin. This is necessary in order to then tuck it and nail it with a wooden plank.
The lower end is best then lined with bricks or stones and covered with soil to protect the seedlings from being blown by the wind.
The service life of PVC pipes is about 50 years, but since they will stand outside under the harmful effects of UV sunlight, wind, rain, snow and other atmospheric precipitation, they will last no more than 20 years, although this period is quite long.
Also today there is an excellent greenhouse cover (light-stabilized or aluminum-reinforced polypropylene). These types of coatings are not subject to thermal deformation and are resistant to solar radiation.
Light stabilized film for greenhouses
In order for the greenhouse to serve as long as possible, it is recommended to make a concrete coating (foundation) and thereby also increase the strength of the structure. Then, during the off-season, the greenhouse is simply disassembled, and the foundation remains. This way, your seedling boxes will not stand on bare ground, but on a solid concrete base. Also, there will be no need to make a walkway in the middle of the greenhouse made of wood, which will also rot over time.
Video: Greenhouse made of PVC pipes
Such a simple, but very beautiful and durable greenhouse or greenhouse will delight its owners for many years with excellent seedlings or a harvest of early vegetables. And if you are a competent person and think over a good lighting and heating system, then such a design will be indispensable for your whole family.
Polymer pipes are intended for the organization of water supply lines, but are often used to create various structures. The material is effective for the construction of greenhouses of various shapes and sizes. This is due to the complex of advantages of PVC pipes in comparison with other materials.
A greenhouse made of pipes is easy to do with your own hands
To create a greenhouse, ordinary plastic pipes are used, which should not be confused with metal-plastic products. The former are made entirely of polymer material, while the latter have an inner layer of metal. It is possible to make a greenhouse from semi-metallic pipes, but it is more cost-effective and efficient to build a structure from ordinary plastic elements. The advantages of the greenhouse material are as follows:
- simple installation technology, easy maintenance of the pipe structure
- low cost, practicality, easy greenhouse repair
- long service life and resistance to moisture and decay
- the ability to create a greenhouse of any shape
- the ability to attach different coatings.
PVC pipes are easy to install and create durable structures. The advantages of the material make it popular in horticulture, but before using it, it is worth considering the disadvantages. The main negative characteristic is the low weight of the pipes, which makes the structure unstable. To make the greenhouse more reliable, weights are used.
PVC pipes are varied and convenient for greenhouses
Too long structures with many connections will be unreliable, since the pipes will not withstand strong mechanical stress. It is important to choose a material with optimal parameters, that is, a suitable diameter, wall thickness. So plastic pipes for a greenhouse will become a good basis, and installation will not cause difficulties.
Why is PVC the best material for a greenhouse?
Construction experts recommend using PVC pipes for the following reasons:
- Strength. Such pipes will not break under enormous weight. Studies have shown that one piece of PVC of an average size can withstand a weight of up to 500 kilograms.
- Elasticity. As you know, for the construction of a greenhouse, you need to create arches from pipes. It is quite difficult to do this from metal and wooden materials, while PVC pipes are easily bent into the desired shape. Do-it-yourself arcs for a greenhouse are easily made only if you use PVC as a starting material
PVC pipes lend themselves well to bending
- Durability. All PVC products do not break for decades. Therefore, the greenhouse will be a safe haven for your plants for many years.
Interesting options for greenhouses made of PVC pipes
If you decide to make a greenhouse from plastic pipes with your own hands, then polyvinyl chloride is the best material available today.
Video: greenhouse options for giving
What do you need to build a greenhouse yourself?
The construction of a greenhouse is a rather fascinating and not complicated process, the main stages of which are shown in the photo below.
The fastest PVC greenhouse
The greenhouse consists of three main elements: foundation, frame, cover. These elements are made from the following materials:
- PVC pipes. It is desirable that their cross section is 13 mm, since this size is the most optimal for creating a greenhouse
- Boards. Opt for processed, durable wood, with a thickness ranging from 20 to 40 millimeters. It is advisable to cover them with transparent varnish before laying - this maneuver will give strength to the structure
- Steel wire. Required to connect pipes together. Prepare sections from 80 cm to 1 meter. Their number should be twice as many as pipes.
- Coating. For this purpose, you can use a special greenhouse film or polycarbonate sheets. They are strong enough to protect plants from negative environmental factors. In addition, they are breathable so crops will not wither.
- You will also need a hammer, pliers, screws, nails and other trifles.
Steel bars of various thicknesses
To make greenhouses with your own hands from PVC pipes, stock up on all of the above materials in the right amount. The larger the size of the greenhouse is planned, the more materials will be needed.
Step-by-step instructions for the construction of a greenhouse
The creation of a greenhouse consists of 4 stages:
- Construction of a foundation made of wood
- Installation of fasteners for PVC pipes
- Installation of arches
- Covering the greenhouse.
Let's take a closer look at each process.
Construction of a foundation made of wood
To begin with, it is worth leveling the area that is reserved for the greenhouse. Use a tape measure and steel rods to mark the corners of the greenhouse. Using a level, you can check how flat the ground is.
Marking for the foundation of the greenhouse
Next, in the corners of the greenhouse, dig trenches (there should be 4 of them) with a depth of at least 10-15 centimeters. 4 boards are installed there, which serve as the foundation for the greenhouse. These boards should be reinforced with nails and screws. This will help to achieve better fixation and durability of the greenhouse.
Greenhouse timber foundation
Installation of fasteners for PVC pipes
Next, we drive steel rods into the ground. They must be installed evenly. To make the length between the rods the same, count their number, divide by two (one batch on each side) and measure the length of each side with a tape measure.
Then calculate the optimal distance between the rods.It is important that they are located opposite each other and that the distance between them is the same. Steel rods are hammered into the ground.
They should stand close to the foundation, that is, to the boards that were previously installed.
The distance between the rods must be the same
Also, to fix the arches, you can use special glasses that are attached directly to the wooden base.
Fastening arches with special PVC glasses
Installation of arches
In order to create arches from plastic pipes, you will need a pipe bender or a construction hair dryer to warm up the pipe and give it an arc shape. After the arch is ready, it is put on a steel bar from both sides and fixed to the base with a clamp.
Fastening the base of the arch with a clamp to the foundation
After installing all the arches at the top point, a pipe is attached to the entire length of the greenhouse with a wire. This additional stiffener will give the structure strength and stability.
Installation of stiffeners to arches
The PVC industry offers a large selection of fittings for pipes, so there are special crosses to give the structure a presentable appearance and ease of installation.
A variety of fittings can greatly simplify the greenhouse assembly process
Thus, in the end, you should get a frame with a foundation, which you just need to cover with a film.
To pull the greenhouse film onto the frame surface, you will need the help of several people to hold the ends of the sheet. The film is fastened with nails to a wooden base. You also need to cut a separate piece of film that will go under the door. It must be secured from the upper side of the greenhouse entrance.
Helpful advice! Use lengthwise cut lengths of flexible hose to attach the film to the frame.
A simple way of attaching the film to the pipe frame
So you will be able to make a greenhouse from PVC plastic pipes with your own hands.
- The best material for creating a greenhouse is PVC pipes, as they are quite strong and flexible
- The foundation for the greenhouse should be made of high-quality boards, because they will fix the entire structure
- If you do not have steel bars, you can replace them with rebar.
Video: do-it-yourself PVC pipe greenhouse
We build with our own hands a greenhouse made of polypropylene or HDPE pipes: arched frame, drawings, photos
Do you want to start your own small vegetable growing business? Or do you just need greenhouseto provide them for your family?
Please - there are a lot of offers on the market. As a budget option, you can consider and do it yourself greenhouse from HDPE pipes.
DIY greenhouse made of polypropylene pipes
The choice of pipes for the greenhouse is due to their strength. We will not be interested in parameters such as working pressure and other characteristics for water pipes. The pipe should be plastic and solid, withstand aggressive environment and heavy weight.
TO merits polypropylene can be attributed to it environmental friendliness - pipes from it are used to supply drinking water, which means that there are no harmful impurities in the material and vapors. The flexibility of the material allows you to mount arched structures.
Such pipes steady to high temperatures. Another advantage is weight - they are the lightest of all plastic pipes.
The greenhouse structure can be easily transferred to another place, it does not require much physical effort to create it.
disadvantages few, but quite serious. When -15 ° C polypropylene pipes become brittle and can collapse under the weight of the snow. The frame of them must be disassembled and removed for the winter. Such pipes sensitive to ultraviolet, which reduces the operational properties - they can deform.
HDPE pipes from polyvinyl chloride have the same advantages as polypropylenebut more UV resistant.
The service life of pipes is from 10 to 12 years.
To make a greenhouse with your own hands from polypropylene pipes, the pipe diameter (outer) can be from 13 to 25 mm, depending on the severity of the covering material. For the film, a 13 mm pipe is enough, for polycarbonate - 20-25 mm. The wall thickness must be at least 3 mm. Such parameters will provide structural strength.
DIY greenhouse made from polypropylene pipes - Photo:
How to pin to plastic frame film without damaging it? Together with arcs for a greenhouse made of polypropylene pipes, there are usually special clipssimply clamping the film in the right places. They are plastic, so they are safe for its integrity. They are also sold separately in packs of 10 pieces. When purchasing ready-made clips, pay attention to the diameter of the pipe for which they are intended.
Can be done clamps do it yourself from scraps of the same pipes. To do this, small pieces about 7-10 cm long. They are cut along the wall and pushed apart. Sharp edges can be processed emery or melt.
Can polycarbonate be mounted on a frame?
Can. The pipes are enough durableto support the weight of the polycarbonate sheets. But here you need to focus on expediency. Greenhouses are built from polycarbonate and polypropylene pipes with their own hands, as a rule, taking into account wintering, they are not intended for permanent assembly-disassembly.
BUT polypropylene does not withstand winter temperatures well. In warm regions where winter temperatures do not drop below - 5 ° C, this option is quite justified. Where frosts crack in winter, it is better to make a collapsible greenhouse with a film coating.
Preparation for construction
This, of course, is not a house, but preliminary preparation for the construction. greenhouses made of polypropylene do it yourself is necessary.
Choosing a place, structure, foundation
It starts with a choice places, especially for a stationary greenhouse. The place for construction should be flat so that you do not have to complicate the structure.
It should be sunny, otherwise the meaning of its construction is lost.
Usually, a summer or stationary greenhouse is oriented with its ends from south to north. So the sunlight will fill her throughout the day.
The place should be protected from strong winds, from which the steel structure can also collapse.
If this is not possible, you need to build a greenhouse so that it is protected at least from the north wind that brings cold.
The greenhouse should be located at a distance 5 meters from other buildings on the site. Of polypropylene pipes you can build a greenhouse of any design - a house, arched, wall-mounted. The choice depends on the seasonality of use, financial capabilities and the area of the beds that are planned to be split in it.
It also depends on what crops will be grown in it and what the height of the plants will be. The most common summer design is arched greenhouse... It is both aesthetic and functional.
Material for foundation and its type depends on the design. For lightweight film greenhouses, a wooden foundation in the form of a bar or a base of boards will be sufficient. For a permanent polycarbonate greenhouse, a more solid support is needed.
It could be strip foundation... It is durable and is also suitable for a removable structure, if it is not supposed to be moved around the summer cottage. In addition, wooden foundation will begin to rot, even if it is well treated with an antiseptic. It will have to be changed approximately every 3-4 years.
Read about how to make a polycarbonate greenhouse window - here. And also in the article on how to make a hydraulic cylinder for a greenhouse with your own hands.
Calculation of materials
number pipes depends on the height and length of the structure, on the coating material - it will be a film or polycarbonate. For a film greenhouse, pipes of a smaller diameter can be used; for polycarbonate, thicker, stronger pipes are needed. In addition, to fasten the stiffeners of the structure, it is necessary to purchase adapter couplings.
The calculation also includes the material from which the foundation will be made. The pipes are attached to it with metal fittings. Internal supports should also be provided. In addition, the fasteners that will be used during construction are calculated.
Important! Before calculating materials, do drawing greenhouses.
Do it yourself: assembly instructions
How to make carcass do-it-yourself greenhouses made of polypropylene pipes? Greenhouse frame made of HDPE pipes are perhaps the easiest construction to manufacture. For greenhouse size 10x4 you will need:
- base board 2x20 cm - 28 p / m
- polypropylene or HDPE pipes with a diameter 13 mm - 17 pcs. by 6 m
- fittings 10-12 mm, rods 3 m long - 10 pcs.
- strips for lathing ends 2x4 cm according to drawing
- plastic connecting clamps
- fasteners (nuts, bolts, screws, staples)
- aluminum fasteners for connecting arches to a wooden frame
- film for covering
- clips for fastening the film
- locks and hinges for vents (if provided).
Arched greenhouse with a frame made of HDPE pipes - step by step instructions:
- At the selected place, a shallow (10-15 cm) trench around the perimeter of the greenhouse. A wooden frame is installed in it. The bottom is covered with sand or lined with roofing material. A beam or board for the foundation must necessarily pass antiseptic treatment to increase the service life. Measure both diagonals of the frame, if they are equal, then it is aligned correctly and has right angles.
- In the corners of the frame, short pieces of reinforcement are hammered into the ground no higher than the sides of the frame. They will keep the structure from deformations.
- The rest of the cut pieces of reinforcement are driven in half the length along the walls from the outside of the frame in increments of 60-62 cm.
- Six-meter pipes are put on on the pins on both sides - first on one, then, with a neat fold, on the other. Attached to the base board with a metal bracket.
- From the ends is done wooden lathing... 4 racks are installed. The distance between them depends on the width of the doorway. Vertical slats are necessarily connected transversely to give rigidity.
- Under the very top of the structure stretches stiffener... To do this, using plastic clamps, two polypropylene pipes are joined and attached to the arches.
- Last step - film fixing using clips - purchased or homemade. The bottom of the coating must be made heavier so that the film does not rise in the wind. You can press it with stones or a long bar.
Reference: To prevent the film from tearing under the clips, cover the structure graduallymaking allowances.
Build from pipes polypropylene greenhouse even a beginner in construction can do it. It will last for more than one year if it is properly operated and, if necessary, the wooden frame at the base is replaced. Good luck to everyone and good harvests!
Watch a video about a homemade greenhouse made of polypropylene pipes: